Studies demonstrate that students who participate in Academic Coaching are 10 to 15% more likely to persist toward their degree and have higher graduation rates than their peers.
Who are Academic Coaches?
Academic Coaches are high achieving UC upperclassmen and graduate students who have been selected based on their:
- Academic achievements.
- Interest in helping their peers achieve similar success
- Understanding of study strategies and motivation techniques.
Summer Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday
11 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Friday - Sunday
What can I expect?
Once you've booked an appointment online, you will meet one-on-one with a coach for one hour as often as once per week.
- During your first meeting the coach will walk you through a questionaire to determine your strengths, interests, and areas for improvement. Your coach may assign you new strategies or exercises to try before your next meeting.
- Later meetings will allow you and your coach to tailor new approaches to develop the best study and test taking habits for your unique goals, strengths, and learning styles.
What topics will we cover?
Coaches will tailor the topics to meet students' needs and goals. However, common issues that our coaches help students address include the following:
- Time Management
- Effective Notetaking and Memorization Techniques
- Clarifying Career Goals
- Test Anxiety
- Effective Resource Utilization
To review some of the resources or strategies our coaches may implement, please review our resource page. These resources are also great tools for distance learning students, as they can walk you through the steps and strategies provided in person by our coaches.
The Impact of Academic Coaching
Students who participate in Academic Coaching experience a distinct impact! The secret is starting early and being consistent.
We’ve found that most students need to complete five or more appointments to see an increase.
Students working with a coach 7+ times improved their average GPA by more than 2/3 of a letter grade during the 2013-2014 school year. That’s the difference between a B+ and an A grade point average!
Students completing more than five appointments saw an increase of nearly a full point!
This data applies to students from every college, in all years of their academic career. But, if the numbers don’t convince, listen to what your peers have to say:
My coach was…
- so kind and explained things so that they were super easy to understand. I felt very comfortable talking with [her].
- extremely helpful and very knowledgeable.
- amazing and can without a doubt help anyone with the right mind stay on track.
- well prepared, [with] good studying exercises and activities. Opened my mind to many things.
- bomb. And funny. Good stuff.
Hundreds of your peers are getting a head start with their academic coach; make sure you don’t miss your chance to make an impact!