Academic Coaching Positions
The application process for Academic Coaches is now open for select positions. We are currently hiring Veteran students for a Veteran's coaching initiative.
Academic Coaches are selected from among the most accomplished of UC students. They come from colleges across the university and are ready to aid students with a variety of majors. Coaches meet with UC students to determine student strengths and weaknesses in academic settings. Coaches are then responsible for preparing individualized responses, exercises, and references to address student needs during paid preparation periods.
Coaches may also be required to give oral presentations to student classes and organizations around campus.
Coaching schedules will coordinate with coaches' curricular and extracurricular activities, but coaches must be available for some trainings and meetings.
Required Application Materials:
- Completed, updated resume or CV
- Cover letter
- Two reference letters
Materials and application procedures are described in detail below.
Steps to Apply for an Academic Coaching Position:
- Applicants will submit their cover letter, resume, and the information for their two letter writers in hard copy to the Learning Assistance Center front desk.
- All materials are due no later than March 1st.
- Information for letter writers should include an up-to-date phone and email address, position title, and description of relationship to the applicant.
- The applicant should also designate whether the reference letters have been completed and included within the submitted application packet or whether letter writers will submit their letters directly to the LAC Academic Coaching coordinator.
- Cover Letters should address professional qualifications, why a coaching position will promote achievement of the individual's personal and professional goals, and how this individual can benefit the coaching program through their employment.
- Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Detailed Instructions for Submitting Letters of Recommendation:
- Students should solicit letters from UC faculty or staff who have seen the student's academic, leadership, and communication skills.
- Letter writers will submit their recommendation to applicants in a signed and sealed envelope, or they may submit their recommendations via campus mail or email (adress below).
- References should not include personal or family friends, supervisors from non-relevant employment, or other UC students.
- Letters of reference that are not submitted directly to applicants should be sent to Bill Neater, Learning Assistance Center, French Hall West, Suite 2441, ML: 0221.
- Emailed letters should be submitted to email@example.com.
- After initial review of the materials, competitive applicants will then be contacted for an interview
Competitive Coaching Applicants will have:
- A minimum of a 3.5 GPA. The average GPA is well-above this minimum
- At least one full year at UC (upon beginning coaching)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills (as determined by the coaching coordinator and professional references)
- Excellent self-motivation and organization skills (as determined by the coaching coordinator and professional references)
- Availability of at least 6 hours per week, with fewer than 24 hours of on campus, hourly employment across all positions