Supplemental Instruction Positions
Supplemental Instruction (SI) Leaders are selected from among the university's most accomplished students. SI Leaders are assigned to historically difficult courses to develop review sessions designed to integrate what to learn with how to learn.
- SI leaders are highly successful UC students and therefore must have (and maintain) a University GPA of 3.5 or above. They must also maintain a minimum Term GPA of 3.0 in order to remain eligible for employment.
- SI leaders are required to earn at least a B+ in any course for which they are assigned; course(s) must have been taken at UC. Prior enrollment with the instructor assigned to teach the course is preferred, but not required.
- Students who received a B in the course may submit an application only if their Faculty Recommendation Form is completed by the instructor who will be teaching the course and that faculty member approves of their content competency.
- Applicants should have completed at least one full year of college and at least one semester at UC by the start of their employment.
- Applicants should posses strong interpersonal and communication skills, an ability to work well both individually and on a team, be highly motivated, and reliable.
- Attend all class meetings of their assigned course and act as model students within the classroom (take notes, read all assigned materials, etc)
- Conduct two (2) regularly scheduled review sessions (1.5 hours each) per week throughout the term, implementing strategies learned through SI Leader training
- Hold weekly office hours
- Conduct extended review sessions as necessary (e.g. prior to examinations)
- Attend mandatory training sessions prior to the start of the semester and weekly group meetings throughout each term of employment.
- Ascertain course requirements and maintain regular contact throughout the term with course instructor
- Model successful student behaviors for those enrolled in the course
- Maintain a professional attitude about matters such as class standards, grades, and other student complaints
- Act as a representative for the SI program on campus
SI Leader Application Instructions:
- Download and complete the SI Leader Application (including application questions)
- Download the Faculty Recommendation Form; solicit faculty members in the appropriate courses to complete recommendation forms. One recommendation form must be completed for each course sequence (e.g. CHEM1040-1041) for which you are applying
- Download the Professional Reference Form; solicit professional references (e.g. current/former employers, individuals who have overseen you during ongoing community service, or individuals who have overseen you during substantive projects or research). Family members, friends, and other students are not considered appropriate professional references. Professional references must also write a letter of support.
- Your recommenders may submit the Reference Forms directly to the Learning Assistance Center; however, it is best to have the Reference Forms submitted at with the other application materials to ensure a complete application file is submitted. Applications will not be reviewed until all materials have been submitted.
- Submit application packet (application, application questions, resume, and reference forms) to the Learning Assistance Center, French Hall West, Suite 2441. You may also interoffice mail it to ML: 0221 or send via post mail to PO Box 210221, Cincinnati, OH, 45221 (Attn: Supplemental Instruction Program). The Learning Assistance Center is not responsible for lost, misplaced, or incomplete applications.
- The priority deadline for applications is by 5:00pm Friday, March 13th. Applications received after the priority deadline will only be reviewed on an as needed basis to fill any remaining openings (see list below).
- Review the qualifications and position responsibilities. Applicants must meet all qualifications and be able to carry out all responsibilities.
- Fill out the application carefully. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Complete the applications questions. Responses will be given serious consideration in determining applicants selected for interviews, so please answer these questions thoughtfully and with great care.
- Carefully select your evaluators. Individuals who complete Reference Forms on your behalf should be able to evaluate your strengths and weaknesses as they relate to this position. Ask your evaluators to fill out the form for you, and do so well in advance of the application deadline.
- Letters of support should be addressed to Ms. Jaime Sperandio, Program Manager for Supplemental Instruction and Tutorial Services and sent to: Learning Assistance Center, French Hall West, Suite 2441 or Mail Location 0221 or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Submit your completed application packet (application, application questions, resume, and reference forms) in person to the Learning Assistance Center. LAC staff will review the packet to make sure it is complete.
- If your reference forms are not included, follow up with your evaluators to make sure they are submitted in a timely manner. Applications will not be reviewed until all materials have been submitted.
***The SI program is still accepting applications for the following courses:***
- MEDS 3021 (formerly MG6001)
- MEDS32026 (formerly MCP6000)
- NBSN2005 (Clifton and UC East)
- NBSN3001C (UC East)