Office of the BursarUniversity of CincinnatiDivision of Administration and FinanceOffice of the Bursar

Office of the Bursar


How can I get a receipt for my payment?
Receipt of payment will be listed on your online bill within approximately one business day. Payments made on-line after 5:00 pm will take 2 business days.  Receipts for e-check or credit card payments are provided via the online confirmation issued at the time of payment. If you desire a receipt for mailed or safe deposit payments, please submit a written request in a self-addressed envelope to:

Cashier's Office
University of Cincinnati
PO Box 210061
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0061

What if I have a payment reversal?
Payment reversals can happen for various different reasons.  If you have a question regarding online payment reversals, contact an Accounts Receivable Specialist by e-mail at or phone at (513) 556-4252.

Why would my online payment be returned when funds are in my account?
There are many reasons why an online payment is returned. The payer will receive an e-mail notification of the return which includes the reason for the return. If you have further questions, please contact an Accounts Receivable Specialist by e-mail at cashiers@ucmail.uc.eduor phone 513-556-4252.

What are the fees for returned payments (payment reversals) and how will it affect me?
The returned payment service charge is $35.  If a check, electronic check, or credit card authorization is returned, future payments must be made by cash, money order, or certified cashier's check.  If a check, electronic check, or credit card authorization has been made to avoid a late fee or to remove a service block, the late fee will be assessed, and a service block will be reinstated if the bank returns the check, electronic check, or credit card transaction.

How long does it take to show that a payment was returned?
Time varies; please allow 14 business days for notification of a returned payment.

If my check is returned for non-payment, will it be resubmitted for payment?
Check payments will be resubmitted one additional time before they are returned to the university. Online payments are submitted one time.

What if I have a problem with a payment posting?
Problems with payment postings can occur in various situations.  If you have a problem with any payment postings, contact an Accounts Receivable Specialist by e-mail at or phone at (513) 556-4252.

How will I be notified of my bill?
Students receive their schedules/bills by electronic billing (e-billing). You will receive an e-mail notification by your UConnect e-mail account that your bill is available for viewing and payment. You will NOT receive a paper bill in the mail.

How do I access and review or pay my bill?
Students are required to pay assessed fees each term at the time of registration. Non-receipt of a bill or statement is not an excuse for late payment. The balance due on your account may be obtained through One Stop Student Services under MY BILL and selecting “view/pay my bill.”

What is the deadline for a same day payment posting without incurring a late fee?
The deadline is 5:00 pm for web payments to post on the same business day. If your web payment is received by 5:00 pm on the date your bill is due, you will not incur a late fee.

If I place a payment in the night drop box, when will it post to my account?
It will post by the end of the next business day.  In most cases it will post the same business day.

What if I can't make my payment on time?
Failure to make a timely payment will result in the assessment of a late payment fee and may result in a service block that will restrict the release of records (grades, transcripts, and diploma) and registration for future terms. Each month, students having an outstanding balance will be notified through their UConnect e-mail to go to to view and pay their bill. Please mail payments before the due date. We are not responsible for payments delivered after the due date.

What are service blocks?
The University Rules authorize Collections to restrict any services, including the release of records (grades, transcripts, and diploma) and registration for future terms, until any past due amount owed to the university, including but not limited to fees, tuition, charges, fines and loans due to the university, are paid in full.

University Rule 20-17-02, item B states that the necessary procedures are adopted to ensure that payments on account are made promptly and for the full amount due. Procedures to guarantee payment of such accounts shall include, but not be limited to: billings; collection letters; telephone contacts; use of collection agencies; referral to counsel for litigation; withholding transcripts, grades and diplomas; and denial of the ability to register for future terms.

University Rule 20-31-06, item C states that the student shall be responsible for discharging all his/her university financial obligations, such as payment of deferred fees, housing fees, tuition, laboratory fees, matriculation fees, or delinquent obligations. Students who are delinquent in paying charges accrued in a previous term may be denied the right to receive transcripts, grades, or diplomas until such fees are paid in full.

What does it mean to get a Service Block?
If you have been informed that you have a service block on your account, you must contact the university office that initiated the service block. The office will instruct you in the specific procedures you will need to follow to clear the service blocks. Each university office is responsible for removing its specific blocks.

Students who have an unpaid balance due to the university for a current or previous term may be blocked from enrolling for a future term. Yet, because early registration dates for future terms may precede the payment deadline for a current term, or because of other individual situations, some students with unpaid balances will have been able to enroll for a future term.  Students who have an unpaid balance yet who are enrolled in classes for a future term will have fourteen (14) calendar days from the beginning of that term to pay their past due balance in its entirety or their enrollments for that term may be administratively cancelled. 

A registration block will prevent re-enrollment into administratively cancelled classes.  The registration block will be removed only when the entire balance has been paid in full. Once the registration block is removed following full payment, then the student must attempt re-enrollment into the previously-enrolled classes or enrollment into other open classes using either on-line or in-person registration.

The student’s administratively-cancelled class enrollments will not be reinstated automatically upon payment of the unpaid balance. Enrollment into classes following administrative cancellation is solely the student’s responsibility. Understand that your attempt to re-enroll into the classes for which you were previously enrolled prior to the administrative cancellation for non-payment will be on a first-come/first-served basis and the classes may be closed by the time of your attempt. It is therefore in your best interest to avoid administrative cancellation for non-payment by paying your tuition and fee bill in full each term by the established deadline.

Be advised that every effort (letters, e-mails, etc.) will be made to notify students when they are at risk for administrative enrollment cancellation for non-payment.  Each student, however, is responsible both for monitoring his/her student bill on a regular basis and for ensuring all fees are paid by the due date. The student solely is responsible for the administrative enrollment cancellation and/or late payment fee consequences arising from non-payment and/or late payment.

What are late fees?
Student bills are due 5 days before the term starts. If you register after this date, or other charges (housing, course fees, etc.) post to your account that result in a balance due then your bill is due within 7 days. When students do not pay their bill by the due date they risk being assessed a Late Payment Fee and a Late Payment Interest charge.  Student accounts are reviewed on the last day each month. If you have a balance due you may be assessed a $50 late fee plus 1.5% in interest on your outstanding balance.

What happens when my account goes into collections?
You must make satisfactory payment arrangements with the Collections Office or your account will be referred to the Ohio Attorney General’s Collection Enforcement Office for collection.  To make payment arrangements call (513) 556-3431.  You may also call Financial Aid at (513) 556-1000 if you would like to discuss any further help they may be able to provide to you.

Ohio Attorney General’s Collection Enforcement Office - Ohio Revised Code Section 131.02 states that the University of Cincinnati submits past due loans and unpaid tuition accounts to the Ohio Attorney General’s Collection Enforcement Office for collection. Additional charges and collection expenses will be assessed to the outstanding loan/account balance.  To prevent referral to the Attorney General’s Office, please contact the Collections Office to make payment arrangements.