Larry Elsasser Memorial Scholarship
A well-known Bearcat, Larry Elsasser, Ed ’65, MEd ’73, served as an employee at the University of Cincinnati (UC) for 35 years. For most of those years Larry served as the director of Tangeman University Center.
In 1961, UC recruited Elsasser to play baseball and basketball. Although baseball was his passion, he had a memorable basketball career, playing guard when UC defeated Ohio State in 1962 for the NCAA championship. After graduation, he played professional baseball for the Kansas City Athletics, the forerunner to the Oakland A’s. He later became a Cincinnati Public school teacher, then a math teacher at Raymond Walters College, where he also worked as assistant director of the Campus Center. In 1970, he transferred to the Uptown Campus as assistant director of Tangeman University Center, where he became director in 1976. He retired in 2005.
Larry’s commitment to the university and to the students at UC was always professional and enthusiastic. With Larry’s passing in 2010, his friends at the university established a scholarship in his name to recognize students who also serve the university as student employees. The scholarship is awarded annually to up to two student employees who work at the university and meet the following criteria:
- The student must be an undergraduate and enrolled as a full time student at the University of Cincinnati at the time of application.
- The student must be employed by the university as a enrolled student employee at the time of application for the scholarship and award.
- The student must have completed or is in the process of completing two semesters of academic work and hold a cumulative university grade point average of 3.0 or better.
- The student must submit the required forms including a resume and reference letter from their supervisor at the university.
- Application form (self-nomination) with attached resume;
- Evaluation with attached letter of recommendation to be completed by the student employee's supervisor.
This year, two winners will each be selected to win $1,000 scholarships.
A university committee consisting of representatives from Campus Services and Student Affairs will review all applications submitted for the scholarship. Determination of the scholarship recipient will be based on:
- Completion of the required forms (20%);
- Demonstrated need for the scholarship (30%);
- Demonstrated work as a student employee (30%); and
- Supervisor review and comments (20%).
Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Applications are due by 5 p.m. on Friday, October 3, 2014.
STUDENT UC EMPLOYEES APPLY HERE
FACULTY/STAFF SUPERVISORS EVALUATE HERE
2013 Scholarship Recipients:
Two students were awarded the inaugural Larry Elsasser Memorial Scholarship award of $500 for the 2013 spring semester. Kelly Huston began working at the MainStreet Connection Center (campus information desk) in TUC in 2008. Kati Klinger has worked for Campus Recreation since 2011, first as a fitness floor coordinator and nutrition consultant and now also as a building supervisor. Read more about these incredible students here.