I pledge to live a more sustainable lifestyle. I will consider the environmental, social and economic impact of my daily decisions and make every effort to reduce my ecological footprint. I will also share my individual sustainability efforts with others at the University of Cincinnati and in my community.
By committing to do at least a few of the actions below, I am joining others to help create a more sustainable UC.
I will reduce my consumption of electricity by doing the following:
- Replace incandescent light bulbs with compact fluorescent or LED bulbs.
- Turn off the lights before leaving a room.
- Unplug all electronics and appliances when not in use.
- Adjust thermostats according to the season (up in summer, down in winter) and use clothing for comfort.
- Use windows and curtains to help maintain comfortable room temperature and ventilation and to provide/reduce natural light.
- Wash full loads of laundry in cold water.
- Dry my clothes on a drying rack in place of using a dryer.
I will reduce my consumption of water by doing the following:
- Drink tap water instead of purchasing bottled water.
- Turn off the faucet while brushing teeth, shaving, etc.
- Use the least amount of water necessary when washing dishes.
- Shower quickly or turn off the water while applying products
I will reduce waste by doing the following:
- Recycle all mixed paper, cardboard, all plastic bottles & jugs, aluminum and steel cans, and glass bottles that cannot be reused.
- Buy recycled and used products.
- Put my food and drinks in reusable containers
- Reuse plastic utensils or carry my own set.
- Avoid unnecessary items such as straws and plastic cups.
- Bring reusable bags to the grocery store.
- Reuse items whenever possible, donate instead of throwing away.
- Use a compost bin.
- Join a freecylce community or attend a reuse market.
I will also reduce my ecological footprint by doing the following:
- Buy local and seasonal foods and support local farmers and companies.
- Eat less meat, seafood, and dairy.
- Print only when necessary and print double-sided.
- Buy organically grown produce.
- Walk, bike, and use public transportation.
- Watch less television.
- Spend more time outdoors, exploring and enjoying nature.
- Promote the reuse and preservation of historical buildings.
- Promote and support renewable energy sources.
I will be more socially and economically responsible by doing the following:
- Buy goods manufactured under fair conditions, such as "fair trade" certified.
- Support sexual equality.
- Encourage racial equality.
- Take a course on sustainability or the environment.
- Donate unneeded or excess food to a shelter or food bank.
- Keep up-to-date on important issues by following unbiased news sources and discussing them with others.
I will engage my local and educational community by doing the following:
- Attend a free sustainability related lecture, film, workshop, tour, or bike ride on campus.
- Volunteer in the UC community garden.
- Volunteer to recycle at a sporting event on campus.
- Volunteer to pick up trash in my community.
- Volunteer for Earth Day events.
- Get involved with a student group in the Student Sustainability Coalition (SSC).
- I will share these ideas with my family, friends, and neighbors.
Your commitment to a more sustainable lifestyle helps the University of Cincinnati reach its goals of carbon neutrality and sustainability.
The UC Sustainability Pledge is a joint initiative between the President's Advisory Council on Environment & Sustainability, the Student Sustainability Coalition and Undergraduate Student Government Association, with support from UC's Office of Sustainability.