Office of the TreasurerUniversity of CincinnatiDivision of Administration and FinanceOffice of the Treasurer

Office of the Treasurer

Tax Resources

Request UC Tax Form Copies

Need another copy of your UC tax form? 

  • Form 1042-S, Foreign Person's U.S. Source Income, is sent to nonresident alien students and others who received money from UC in certain situations.  Not all foreign visitors will receive a Form 1042-S.  To receive timely e-mail updates about Form 1042-S delivery, find out what to do if you get one, or get help with filing your U.S. tax return, please consult the UC International Services website.
  • Form 1095-B, Health Coverage statement for students, is provided to applicable UC students by our student health insurance provider, United Healthcare.  To obtain your Form 1095-B, visit their Student Resources website at, or contact them by phone at (800) 767-0700.
  • Form 1095-C, Employer-Provided Health Insurance Coverage, is provided to applicable UC employees by US Mail.  For information and FAQs on Form 1095-C, visit our Human Resources 1095-C page.
  • Form 1098-T, Tuition Statement, is provided in January to each of our students.  Nonresident alien students usually can not use Form 1098-T -- see "Form 1042-S," above. 

2016 and prior years' Forms 1098-T are all available in Catalyst.  Access to your forms for 2015 and prior REQUIRES access via either (1) UC's secure on-campus network or (2) UC's secure Virtual Private Network ("VPN").  If you are still unable to access your 2015 or prior form, contact One Stop at 513-556-1000.

  • Form 1099-C, Cancellation of Debt, is sent by US Mail in January to current or former students who received taxable income by UC's forgiveness of certain tuition or late fees amounts of $600 or more.  For questions on Form 1099-C, please contact our Bursar's Office at 513-556-7284.
  • Form 1099-K, Merchant Card and Third-Party Network Payments, is sent by US Mail in January to merchants who accept UC Bearcat Cards for payment.  To request a copy of yours or to ask related questions, please contact our Tax Compliance office at 513-556-5899.

  • Form 1099-MISC, Miscellaneous Income, is sent by US Mail in January to many UC vendors.  To request a copy of yours or to ask related questions, please contact our Accounts Payable office at 513-556-6746
  • Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, is available online and/or is sent by US Mail to UC employees each January by our Human Resources Service Center.  W-2 forms for 2015 and later years are available online through Employee Self Service (ESS).  UC employees can also request a duplicate copy of their 2017 (or prior year) Form W-2 by submitting their request to our HR Service Center.
  • Canadian Form TL11A, Tuition, Education and Textbook Amounts Certificate -- University Outside Canada, is sent via e-mail to Canadian students at their UConnect address.  We send those forms by early April.

Still not sure which form you need?  E-mail your request and we will be happy to help.

back to top


Relocation Expenses -- Time and Distance Tests


In accordance with the University's policy on Relocation Expenses, organizational units may pay for relocation expenses for new or current employees, in certain cases.

All such payments or reimbursements are taxable to the employee, unless the relocation meets both of the "time and distance tests" under federal tax law.  If the relocation does qualify under the time and distance tests, then payments are taxable or nontaxable depending upon the type of expense, as outlined in UC's Relocation Expenses policy.  If the relocation does not meet the time and distance tests, then all payments are taxable regardless of purpose.

This page gives a general summary of the time and distance tests.  You can also find more detail about these tests in IRS Publication 521, Moving Expenses.

Time Test

The employee must work full-time within the local area for at least 39 weeks during the first 12 months after arriving at the new job location.  Those 39 weeks need not be consecutive.  The employee is considered to have worked full-time during any week for which they are temporarily absent due to illness, vacation, layoffs or weather-related closures.

For seasonal workers such as some faculty, the employee is considered to be working full-time during their off-season if their normal work schedule includes an off-season of less than 6 months.  For example, a faculty member on a 12-month contract who teaches on a full-time basis for more than 6 months is considered to have worked full-time for the entire 12 months.

Organizational units may submit their payment requests based on their reasonable expectations of the employee fulfilling the 39-week time test.  Organizational units do not need to wait until 39 weeks have expired before submitting their payment requests -- they may do so as soon as they have the proper documentation.

Distance Test

The employee's new job location must be at least 50 miles farther from his/her former home than his/her old job location was from his/her former home.  For example, if Jane's old job location was 3 miles from her former home, then her new job location must be at least 53 miles from her former home, in order to qualify under the distance test.  The location of the employee's new home is irrelevant for this test.

If this is the employee's first full-time job, or if the employee is now returning to full-time work after a substantial period of part-time work or unemployment, then he will qualify under the distance test if his new work location is at least 50 miles from his former home.

This diagram may also help to illustrate the distance test.

back to top