Mile High Club – August 21 - December 13 (Registration Open)
Love to top rope? Complete 5,280 vertical feet during the semester to earn the coveted Campus Recreation Mile High Club t-shirt. Register at the Climbing Wall or Member Services Desk.
1. Vertical feet can be accumulated on any of the 28’ or 40’ belay bars. One successful attempt on any of the 28’ belay bars is equivalent to 50 vertical feet. One successful attempt on any of the 40’ belay bars is equivalent to 100 vertical feet. A successful attempt is defined as the participant starting on the Climbing Wall ground level, climbing the wall and touching the belay bar on the top of the wall. Bouldering does not count. Only climbs completed during the program dates count toward the total. This is an individual challenge; all climbs must be made by the individual registered for the challenge.
2. Campus Recreation will provide log sheets to registered members only. A Climbing Wall staff member must sign off on the completed climbs once the participant leaves for the day. Campus Recreation staff has final say in all disputed matters.
3. All participants must abide by Campus Recreation policies and procedures.
4. Climbing Wall staff will belay for participants when available, but will not dedicate themselves to the participants. Participants are highly encouraged to have a partner who is belay certified.
5. All participants who complete the challenge will receive a Campus Recreation Mile High Club t-shirt.
One afternoon in spring 2012, Climbing Wall staff member Rick Cmar wondered what it would be like to complete the Mile High Club foot for foot. So he did.
Rick climbed the 40' wall 132 times over a 9 hour period, making him the first member of the "By the Foot" Mile High Club. Congratulations.