Climbing Wall Rules and Regulations
- Campus Recreation climbing staff must be present in order for members to climb or be in the climbing area.
- All participants must read and understand the climbing rules and sign a Waiver of Liability and Assumption of Risk before being allowed to climb.
- Climbers must be 5 years of age and older and able to fit into a child harness. Please Note: Minors (climbers 17 years of age and younger) must have a parent’s or legal guardian’s signature on all forms. Climbers 13 years of age and younger must be supervised by an adult at all times.
- Climbers must be 15 years of age and older to take a belay clinic. Please Note: Individuals who have a history of epilepsy or any other condition that could alter level of consciousness are not eligible to take a belay clinic or belay at the wall. Please ask the climbing staff if you are unsure if you fit into this category.
- Climbers’ pockets must be empty.
- Items and activities prohibited in the climbing wall area:
Swinging or jumping on ropes, Climbing into a position where you are eye level or higher with top anchors, Grabbing bolt hangers. Bolt hangers are for carabiner attachment only.
- Belaying policies:
- Belayers must lower climbers in a smooth and controlled manner.
- Belayers must keep their brake hand on the rope at all times.
- Belay from a standing position only.
- Climbers should not step under or over an active belay.
- A follow-through figure-eight knot is required to tie in a climber.
- Please report any injury or unsafe climbing wall conditions to climbing staff immediately.
- The number of climbers at any one time may be limited to ensure proper supervision.
- The Campus Recreation climbing staff reserves the right to refuse wall access for the following reasons, including but not limited to:
- Use of dangerous climbing techniques
- Suspected recent use of alcohol or other drugs
- Use of unsafe or unacceptable climbing gear
Bouldering Wall Rules & Regulations
- Boulder climbers are not required to have the ability to belay. Otherwise, all climbing wall policies, rules, and regulations apply to bouldering.
- Campus Recreation strongly recommends the use of spotters while bouldering. We encourage climbers to ask climbing staff about proper spotting techniques.
- Climbers can not boulder more than 10’ above the floor.
- Climbers must check in at the Climbing Wall Desk before bouldering.
- Climbers may not boulder above or below any other climbers.
- Climbers, with the exception of climbing staff, may not switch holds.
Climbing staff may switch holds only when necessary.