Know Your Prospective Employer
What questions should every candidate ask before accepting a job offer?
1. How would you describe the corporate culture?
2. Upon what criteria will my performance be evaluated? How will this be done and by
3. How are employees rewarded for excellent performance?
4. Describe the kind of people who thrive in your company. What are the key
competencies of a successful employee?
5. What are the company’s values and ethics? How are these manifested in
relationships with employees, customers, and suppliers?
6. How would you describe the company’s management style and the philosophy of
its top executives?
7. Is my boss’s performance evaluated on how well he/she develops his/her
subordinates? On the success of the department?
8. What commitment does the company have to the career development and training
of its employees? How will the company help me achieve my maximum potential?
9. What are major issues this organization and industry currently face? In the next 3
to 5 years?
10. How do current employees feel about their jobs and the company?
11. What is your attrition rate of new hires within one year? 3 years? 5 years? Why
do they leave?
12. What are the opportunities for progression and increased responsibility in the
13. How secure is this position? If I were to be laid off, what assistance would I
14. Is there a commitment to promote from within? What percentage of your top
managers were promoted from inside the organization?
15. What is the company doing to ensure it will be a viable and profitable organization
ten years from now?
16. What is the strategic vision of the organization and how do individuals contribute
17. What is the salary structure and the benefits plan?
18. What will be expected of me in this position? What are the day-to-day tasks?
19. How does this job and department fit into the organization as a whole? Describe
working relationships with other departments in the company.
20. What are the expected work hours, start date, work locations, travel
requirements, dress code, and relocation prospects?
Introspective: Know Yourself
Questions candidates should ask themselves…
1. Is this an organization in which I will “fit”, feel comfortable, and succeed?
2. Is this a position a good match for my skills, interests, aptitudes, values,
and long-term goals?