Fellowship for Community Change
Ohio Student Association fellows all have one thing in common: a desire to fight for justice in communities across Ohio. This semester-long program teaches young change-makers the art and science of community organizing and civic engagement. Throughout the semester, participants are supported as they gain valuable field experience by actively engaging in the movement for a better future for Ohio’s youth.
Program and Purpose:
Fellows are required to take part in both field and instructional components:
Instructional: During four weekend retreats fellows will learn how to be more dynamic and effective organizational leaders.
● Fellows will develop communication, team-building and strategic-thinking skills that can be transferred to any professional career.
● Fellows will learn how ordinary people have made extraordinary changes and what unique challenges and opportunities we have as young people in Ohio.
Field: Fellows will learn by doing, and put their new skills to practice by participating in community change projects.
● Fellows will work with an organizer on one of two OSA community change projects (college access & student debt, or the school-to-prison-pipeline), or a project of their choice.
● Network and build relationships with people and organizations working for change across the state of Ohio.
Statewide Retreat Timeline:
● January 17th – 19th Columbus: Power, narrative, & winning community change
● February 14th – 16th Dayton: Power analysis & strategic planning
● April 4th – 6th Cleveland: Civic engagement & strengthening democracy
● May 16th – 18th Columbus: Training leaders, sharing skills, & building a sustainable, healthy movement.
Women, people of color and LGBTQ leaders under 30 are strongly encouraged to apply. Candidates should have a passion for social justice. A letter of recommendation is encouraged but not required.
The Ohio Student Association is a non-partisan organization. Visit our website www.OhioStudentAssociation.org to get more information and submit your application.
The submission deadline is December 15th.