Into the Streets
On Saturday, September 13th, 2014 the Center for Community Engagement will kick-off an exciting year of service by sending hundreds of volunteers Into the Streets for one of the largest one-day service projects at the University of Cincinnati.
Into the Streets is an annual event during which UC students, faculty, and staff volunteer their time and effort to a range of service organizations across the region for a full day near the start of the academic year. Breakfast, lunch and transportation are provided for all volunteers!
Key partners for Into the Streets include Keep Cincinnati Beautiful and the Neighborhood Enhancement Program (NEP) which coordinate and integrate services and community redevelopment efforts. Efforts will be focused in the Carthage neighborhood to meet community-identified needs through the nationally acclaimed NEP program. This year Into the Streets will also team up with Building Hope in the City - Cincinnati.
Project sites and community partners for 2013 included:
- Neighborhood Enhancement Program, Carthage
- Keep Cincinnati Beautiful
- City of Cincinnati
- Building Hope in the City-Cincinnati
- Prince of Peace Lutheran Church
- Over-the-Rhine Recreation Center
- The Cincinnati Dream Center
- Mercy Health--St. John's
- Awaken the City
- Cincinnati Parks
- First Lutheran Church
- Over-the-Rhine Community Housing
- Immanuel Lutheran Church
- Spring in Our Steps
- Clifton Heights, University Heights, Fairview Heights Neighborhood Association
- Clifton Cultural Arts Center
- William Howard Taft National Historic Site
- Betts-Longworth Historic District Group
- West End Community Council
- The Lord's Gym
What people said about Into the Streets:
- "I didn't get the names of the students who came to our shelter for their project but I would like to thank them...They got an incredible amount of work done, more, even, than we had planned...They were great and we are grateful."
- "...Bond Hill is so, so happy with the results of Saturday, and sincerely grateful for all the work the UC students put in! There are some great photos on KCB’s Facebook page if you’d like to check them out."
- "Thanks tons for sending the volunteers on Saturday. They did a GREAT job!"
- "Into The Streets seemed very successful and we had beautiful weather. I was stationed at Peaslee Community Center, and was truly affected in an inspiring way. Keep up the hard work, and thanks for the opportunity to volunteer."
Check out this time lapse video from Keep Cincinnati Beautiful with volunteers from Bond Hill and UC as they enhance a vacant building during a past Into the Streets. The mission of KCB is to educate and encourage individuals to take greater responsibility for improving their community environments.
Into the Streets is one of the largest UC community improvement efforts of the year. Projects from past years include everything from painting low-income housing, beautification projects, computer renovations, and other capacity building projects for area non-profits.