Higher Education Mentoring Initiative
Become a Mentor
Mentors will commit to a long-term mentoring relationship averaging two hours per week of personal interaction with their mentee. They’ll also be expected to be available for additional contact via telephone, e-mail, texting, etc. And on the first Thursday of each month, mentors will have the option to attend a monthly HEMI training and/or group meeting. Mentors will be required to keep an activity log for each visit and submit them monthly to the HEMI program coordinator.
To prepare the mentors, a one-time six hour training will be required, along with additional one hour mini trainings throughout the year. The sessions will cover various topics, some of which may include:
- Today’s high school experience and expectations
- Senior Year
- College Access
- Financial Aid
All mentors will:
- Complete a mentor application.
- Complete a mentor profile.
- Interview with the HEMI Program Coordinator.
- Provide current copies of a driver’s license and car insurance.
- Attend an initial mentor training.
- Undergo complete FBI and BCI&I background checks to ensure the safety of mentees.
Complete Your Application Now!
If you prefer to complete your application electronically, please use the following link: Electronic Application