2013/14 New Faculty Orientation
Friday, August 23rd, 8:30-5:30PM
Kingsgate Marriott Conference Center
To register for this year's program please login to Faculty Development OneStop.
This year's New Faculty Orientation for full-time and adjunct faculty provides a holistic overview of short and longterm career development opportunities at the University of Cincinnati to support the foundational skills of researchers, teachers, and adjuncts and invites all faculty in the beginning stages of their careers to attend.
The day will begin with a plenary session then adjourn to break-out sessions, where faculty can choose from a number of career development programs on teaching, service, and research. Through a “just-in-time” approach, we’ve planned the day to focus on meeting common faculty challenges, such as:
- Making effective use of Blackboard in advance of the semester
- Making effective use of electronic and library resources for teaching and research
- Finding a balance for service responsibilities and expectations
- Navigating the HR benefits process to manage health and retirement options in a timely manner
- Initiating a research program to stay on track
- Developing successful grant proposals
- Developing reappointment dossiers
- Learning about internal funding resources and deadlines
- Navigating the challenges of research projects--from idea to networking, harnessing opportunities and meeting the challenges of common limitations
With the messages and perspectives coming from experienced deans and department heads, academic support staff, and some of the best researchers and teachers on campus, participants will learn effective strategies for success at UC and the wide-ranging professional development support available to faculty during the coming academic year and beyond.
2013/14 New Faculty Institute
To apply to this year's New Faculty Institute please see the application here (tinyurl.com/k5ln326)
The 2013/14 New Faculty Institute will also begin its second year in the fall semester with a call for applications commencing on June 1st.
More than 1/3 of 2012/13 new pre-tenure faculty are members of the New Faculty Institute.
The New Faculty Institute for pre-tenure faculty new to UC provides new faculty with much-needed support in an effort to:
- Enhance new faculty research, teaching, and service contributions to strongly align with university goals;
- Enable new tenure track faculty to reach these goals with greater efficiency;
- Improve new faculty retention and ensure greater success in the RPT process.
For more information: 2013/14 New Faculty Institute