Cache & Cookies in Browsers
What are the browser's cache, cookies and history?
- Each time you access a webpage through your browser, it caches or stores it.
- The browser doesn't have to retrieve files from the remote website each time you click Back, Forward or Refresh(F5).
- You should periodically clear the cache to allow your browser to function more efficiently and to retrieve the most recent copy of your Web page and related files (PDFs, images and Docs).
- A cookie is a file created by a web browser, at the request of a web site, that is stored on your computer.
- These files typically store user-specific information such as selections in a form, shopping cart contents, or authentication data.
- Browsers will normally clear cookies that reach a certain age, but clearing them manually may solve problems with web sites or your browser.
- A browser's history is a log of websites that you have visited. When you press a browser's Back button, you are moving back one entry the history log.
- Browsers will normally clear history at regular intervals, but you may want to clear it manually for privacy reasons.
How do I delete my browser's cache?
Internet Explorer 8.0
- From the Safety menu in the upper right, click Delete Browsing History
- Deselect Preserve Favorites website data, and select Temporary Internet files, Cookies, and History
- Click Delete
Internet Explorer 7
- From the Tools menu in the upper right, select Internet Options
- Under "Browsing history", click Delete
- To delete your cache, click Delete files
- To delete your cookies, click Delete cookies
- To delete your history, click Delete history
- Click Close, and then click OK to exit
- From the Tools menu, select Clear Recent History
- From the Time range to clear: drop-down menu, select the desired range; to clear your entire cache, select Everything.
- Click the down arrow next to "Details" to choose what history elements to clear (e.g., check Cookies to clear cookies). Click Clear Now.
CQ does NOT currently support Firefox 4.0 or Internet Explorer 9.0.