UC Common Read
Take the Common Read survey by September 11, 2017 for a chance to win one of five $250 scholarships. Click here to take the survey.
About The Common Read
Each summer new UC students, along with their teachers and mentors, read a book that prompts thoughtful discussion about matters of importance for the Bearcat community.
We seek to address questions like: What should we study? How do we become more effective learners, researchers, artists, and problem-solvers? What are our opportunities and responsibilities to help make UC, and the world, a better place as we pledge to do through the Bearcat Bond and Principles for a Just Community? This year’s Common Read selection allows us to address these and other questions as we explore the experience of someone living with an Autism spectrum disorder, the importance of diversity and inclusion, and how our differences can be our strengths.
About Look Me in the Eye by John Elder Robison
Ever since he was young, John Robison longed to connect with other people, but by the time he was a teenager, his odd habits—an inclination to blurt out non sequiturs, avoid eye contact, dismantle radios, and dig five-foot holes (and stick his younger brother, Augusten Burroughs, in them)—had earned him the label “social deviant.” It was not until he was forty that he was diagnosed with a form of autism called Asperger’s syndrome. That understanding transformed the way he saw himself—and the world. A born storyteller, Robison has written a moving, darkly funny memoir about a life that has taken him from developing exploding guitars for KISS to building a family of his own. It’s a strange, sly, indelible account—sometimes alien yet always deeply human.
This year's Common Read is being delivered online. Follow these instructions to access your book:
- Login to BlackBoard
- Select UC17_Common_Read_001 under "My courses"
- Click “Common Read” in the navigation bar on the left side of the screen
- Click “Look Me in the Eye”
- Click “Launch” on the page titled “Launch Bookshelf Link”
- You will now be on the Welcome to BryteWave page. Click enter your UC email address and click “Continue”
- You will now have access to the book
- Return to the Common Read page on BlackBoard and click “Download Bookshelf” in the navigation bar on the left side of the screen
- You can download Bookshelf onto all of your devices to access the book from anywhere. Click on the operating system your device uses and follow the directions to download
Download the Common Read Infographic for more information on this year's Common Read