Peer Leader Application Process
1. Apply at UC Jobs. Be prepared to upload your resume and two letters of recommendation.
- Submit two letters of recommendation that attest to your capabilities to be a Peer Leader. While it is recommended that your two letters come from Faculty, we understand that this may not be possible. If that is the case, please have someone who has seen or supervised you in a leadership or professional position write your letter. Some examples would include, but are not limited to, a former employer, an organizational supervisor, a religious official, a high school teacher or counselor, an athletic coach, etc. Please do not have family or peers submit your letters of recommendation.
- We suggest that you provide those who will write your letters with a copy of the Peer Leader job description.
2. Interview Notifications
- FYE staff will carefully review each application, resume and letters of recommendation. Candidates selected for an interview will receive notification by email or phone.
3. After the interviews, FYE staff will make selections and placements according to the attributes of candidates and LC needs.
4. You will receive an email notification letting you know whether or not you have been hired.
For additional questions regarding your application, please check our FAQ below or contact Seth Baker (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Frequently Asked Questions
- I cannot get my recommenders to write letters before the I submit the online portion - May I still apply to the Peer Leader position?
Yes, you can. However, the application process will not allow you to continue until you upload the letters, therefore you will have to create a personal note in a word document and upload that personal note. Your note should just be something short stating that the letter of recommendation can be provided by a certain date.
- Where should my recommenders send my letters?
Recommenders are encouraged to give you the letter directly. You can submit the letter two different ways: (1) via the application system or (2) in person to FYE&LC staff in French West Rooms 2607 or 2609. If no one is in the office, please slide recommendation under the door.
- I have never been a Peer Leader before, Can my Peer Leader or Resident Advisor provide a letter of recommendation?
No. We would like you to secure letters from UC faculty, but if not possible you can also get letters of recommendation from a HS teacher, counselor or your employer.
- What I should provide my recommenders with to write me a strong letter of recommendation?
It might be a good idea to provide them with a resume/cv and your interest in becoming a Peer Leader or Peer Leader Captain. We also recommend that you direct them to the Peer Leader job description.
- Do I have to attend the information session?
No, but it is highly recommended that you do. It will give you an opportunity to meet other Peer Leaders.
- I am on Co-op, internship, or student teaching for one semester - may I still apply for the PL or PLC position?
Yes, the application allows you to apply for a full academic year OR for a semester only. There are a lot of things to be considered when making these hiring decisions, thus every applicant will be considered and evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
- Do I need a cover letter?
No, the cover letter is optional, but this might be a good opportunity for you to practice writing one.
- What are the summer training dates?
Tuesday, August 12th-Friday, August 15th
- Do I have to attend summer training?
Yes. Training for the Peer Leader position is mandatory. If you are on co-op or an academic internship, we will make other training arrangements for you.
- I qualify for work-study, is it possible for me to use employment at FYE&LC as a work-study site?
At this time, FYE&LC is not working with work-study, but we hope that in the future this might be a possibility.