The Center for First Year Experience and Learning Communities is seeking excellent students with sophomore or higher standing to serve as Peer Leaders for Learning Communities. A learning community is a group of students (typically 20-23) who co-enroll in two or more academic classes based on a shared major, program or thematic interest. LC Peer Leaders serve as learning coaches and mentors to college and university departments for each student in the LC.
Candidates should be motivated to autonomously lead LC meetings twice each week, plan and implement social events for LC members, and provide individual and small group mentoring. Peer Leaders will also attend weekly meetings and have weekly office hours. Peer Leaders should be dedicated to this position (limit outside work/volunteer positions to a maximum of 10 hours each week.) Peer leaders must have experience and the academic background need to address the academic needs and interests of students. An important role of Peer Leaders is collaborating with faculty, advisors, organizations, and others to give students a high quality LC experience that prepares them for subsequent academic accomplishments.
Peer Leaders will receive training in mentoring, tutoring, and the learning goals of the Learning Communities program. This training will prepare Peer Leaders to teach and facilitate:
- Academic habits and strategies conducive to high levels of academic achievement
- Productive study groups in and outside of the LC
- Goal setting and reflection on goal attainment
- Engagement with faculty and academic advisors
- Involvement in campus life
- Exploration of experiential learning opportunities
- Utilizing the first year as a foundation for intensive mid-collegiate involvement and an outstanding capstone experience (per Integrated Core Learning).
· Pays $7.95 hourly, working 8 hours each week.
· Must maintain good academic standing and at least 3.0 Cumulative GPA
· Must hold sophomore or higher status by the start of Fall Semester 2014.
If you have any questions about recruitment for 2014-2015, please contact Seth Baker, email@example.com, or check out our FAQ.