Protection of Minors
What is the Protection of Minors Program?
University of Cincinnati sponsors programs and activities that are specifically designed for children, for example, summer camps. The University also makes its facilities available to outside groups and organizations that conduct programs geared toward children.
UC is committed to providing a safe environment for all members of our community as well as all those who participate in programs and activities on campus. This page is designed to raise awareness of some concerns affecting children and equip us to address such issues appropriately. Begin by watching United Educator's "Shine a Light" video below (10 min), which highlights the importance of this topic and then take the applicable courses below.
More information about the courses
Enterprise Risk Management is also partnering with United Educators (UE) to bring two online courses about protecting minors on campus. Using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox, click the links in the "TO DO" section to access the course.
Protecting Children: Identifying and Reporting Sexual Misconduct (1 hour)
- Assessing the Landscape and Creating a Minors Policy
- Background Checks
- Reporting and Investigations
Protecting Children: Hiring Staff Who Work With Minors
- Background Checks
- Case Studies
- Review the Protection of Minors Policy
- Supervisors, camp operators, and hiring managers should take UE's Protecting Children: Hiring Staff Who Work With Minors. All camp staff should take UE's Protecting Children: Identifying and Reporting Sexual Misconduct training before the camp begins. Register following the steps outlined on HR Learning & Development.
- UC has procured blanket insurance for UC sponsored summer camps. All providers of non-UC sponsored programs must maintain similar coverage (General Liability $1 Million/ occurrence and $2 Million/aggregate, naming University of Cincinnati as an additional insured. See Insurance Requirements). Refer to URMIA to purchase sports camp coverage.
- Review the Minors in Laboratories Advisory and/or Occupational Health & Safety Guidelines On Minors in Potentially Hazardous Locations Other Than Laboratories, if applicable.