Panhellenic Council (CPH) sorority recruitment is formal, and requires you to register. Each fall, all of the sororities have recruitment at the same time. When you register for recruitment, you are assigned a Recruitment Guide (also called a “Rho Gamma”). This Recruitment Guide guides you through the entire recruitment process from start to finish.
During this time, you meet sorority members and learn about each sorority. Sorority recruitment is a “mutual selection process”: after each day of recruitment, you preference your favorite sororities and the sororities do the same for the women going through recruitment. Your preferences narrow down until the final day of recruitment, “Bid Day,” when it is revealed which sorority invites you to join. 99% of women going through recruitment are matched to a sorority and join.
Some sororities may continue to recruit after the fall. But this varies from year to year. Your only guarantee to check out every sorority is to participate in fall recruitment.
Information regarding Fall 2016 Formal Recruitment will be posted on our website in May.
Unlike Formal Recruitment, not all sororities are eligible to participate in Informal Recruitment (also known as Continuous Open Bidding). Sororities that are eligible will hold a series of informal events to get to know women better, and will extend bids (offers of membership) to women in a more informal, less-structured manner.
Do I have to sign up for informal recruitment?
No. We will list contact information for chapters participating in informal recruitment here on our website. We encourage you to reach out to the chapters and let them know that you are interested and want to attend their recruitment events.
What happens at informal recruitment events?
Informal recruitment events are exactly what they sound like ... informal! Many chapters will host dinners or just hang out. This is a chance for the chapter to get to know you, and for you to get to know the women in the chapter. Be yourself and have fun!
To be eligible you must:
- be an undergraduate student enrolled at UC
- meet chapter academic standards (ask the chapter)
- have not been initiated into another National Panhellenic Conference organization
- have not declined a bid through Formal Recruitment less than a calendar year prior
Each chapter will conduct their recruitment in a different manner. They may have events and invite women, they may call women, or they may choose not to have informal recruitment. Informal recruitment may continue throughout the semester, until the chapter is full or the deadline for initiating members is reached.
There are a few key differences between Formal Recruitment and Informal Recruitment that are important to keep in mind:
- Informal Recruitment almost never involves all of the sororities at any particular time. Those who do take part usually have only a few spots open for new members. Therefore, your chances of joining a sorority during Informal Recruitment are much lower than during Formal Recruitment.
- Informal Recruitment is a much less structured process. You do not get the overall view of Sorority Life, nor do you see what each sorority is about. Because of this limited spectrum, most of the women who join through Informal Recruitment do so because they have been on campus for a while and have a better feel for which sororities they would be comfortable joining.
For many reasons, including wanting to get to know all the sororities, most women choose Formal Recruitment as their way to join a sorority. However, if you find that you are unable to go through Formal Recruitment for any reason, keep in mind that Informal Recruitment may occur each Fall and Spring semester. This means that the chapters participating in Informal Recruitment will vary throughout the year.