1) Graduate Student
Association of the Year - Any current graduate
student or advisor may nominate a GSGA-registered graduate group for
GSA of the Year. Included in the nomination should be a narrative
explaining what outstanding contributions the group has made to the
quality of graduate student life within its department/college and the
larger UC community. Furthermore, the statement should clearly identify
how the nominated GSA's actions reflect any/all of the six UC2019 Operational Principals: Learning, discovery,
community, economy, sustainability, global engagement, diversity, mission based health care and collaboration. The same group cannot
win the award two consecutive years.
2) GSGA Service Award – There are four awards in this category. Any current graduate student or advisor may nominate a graduate student for GSGA Service Award. Included in the nomination should be a narrative explaining what outstanding contributions the graduate student made to improve graduate student quality of life and education within its department and among the University. Furthermore, the statement should clearly identify how the nominated graduate student's actions reflect a good mix of nine of the UC2019 Operational Principals: Learning, discovery, community, economy, sustainability, global engagement, diversity, mission based health care and collaboration.
3) Graduate Student Award for Exemplary Scholarship - There are four awards
in this category, one in each of the following areas:
a) Physical Sciences
b) Life Sciences
c) Social and Behavioral
d) Arts and Humanities.
This award is bestowed
upon those students that exhibit in their respective fields of study
the highest degree of scholarship as defined by the UC2019 Academic Master Plan:
“Through experiential education and research, we will build rigorous learning experiences
that will integrate theory and practice, produce a sense of contextual complexity and
community engagement, and create learning that is exceptionally self-directed, integrative
4) Graduate Student Award for Exemplary Initiative - This award is bestowed upon the student that best exhibits the guiding principles
of leadership, citizenship, and partnership.:
others to take actions that would not otherwise have been taken. Leadership is measured by the extent
to which an individual or groups of individuals can
influence and energize the ideas, actions and capabilities of others toward the betterment of
The ability to apply knowledge and skills for responsible civic life and action. UC's emphasis is
on public engagement
and ethical purpose.
Working collaboratively to address complex issues and problems, both within and beyond the boundaries
of UC. A university cannot solve problems by working in isolation. It must do so by interacting with
others. By working in partnerships, we gain an understanding and appreciation of what can be accomplished
together that could not have been accomplished alone. We also affirm the importance of diversity,
since constructive change often occurs when individuals and groups with different identities and
various priorities come together.
5) Outstanding International Graduate Student Award: Information on this award
is These awards are sponsored by UC International and carry a cash value of $200 apiece.
The following two award categories are offered this year and eligible students from all
disciplines are encouraged to apply:
1) Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics
2) All Non-S.T.E.M. fields.
Nomination information is
provided in this link : http://www.uc.edu/gsga/Nominate.html