University Honors Program

University Honors Program

Semester Conversion

UHP Students Transitioning from Quarters to Semesters

University Honors faculty and staff have established the process for the transition of honors requirements from quarters to semesters.

UHP students who are transitioning between quarters and semesters will be required to complete the following in order to graduate from the UHP on semesters:

  • Five (5) honors experiences*
  • Gateway to University Honors course (38HNRS110H on quarters); any student transitioning who does not successfully complete 38HNRS110H on quarters will be required to complete HNRS1010 on semesters.
  • Honors English requirement (15ENGL101H & 15ENGL102H, or 15ENGL112) - UHP students must complete their Honors English classes on quarters. These Honors English classes will no longer be offered on semesters, so it is crucial that transitioning students complete Honors English during the 2011-12 academic year. If it is absolutely impossible to complete this English requirement during the 2011-12 academic year due to the curricular requirements of your major, please contact your honors academic advisor.
  • Maintain honors e-portfolio and document all honors experiences in the e-portfolio.
  • Cumulative University GPA of 3.4 or higher.

*Each honors experience completed under the quarter system (by the end of summer 2012) will transition as one semester honors experience. This includes honors seminars, honors experiential learning projects, and other courses that count as honors experiences which were completed under quarters.

If you have concerns or questions about how your honors experiences will  transition to semesters, please contact your UHP academic advisor.

UHP Semester Conversion FAQs

I'm transitioning to semesters and have already completed 5 (or 6) honors experiences on quarters. Does that mean I've completed my honors experience requirement?
Yes. If you already have 5 or 6 honors experiences, you have completed the required number of honors experiences. However, you must still complete the other UHP graduation requirements if you haven't already.

I'm graduating during the 2011-12 academic year on quarters. Can I graduate from the UHP if I've only completed 5 honors experiences?
No. If you are graduating on quarters, you must complete 6 honors experiences (along with the other UHP graduation requirements).

I want to take English 289H but I'm not able to register for the class in spring 2012; does this mean I have to take a semester of English 289H?
No. A quarter version of English 289H (ENGL 2989H) will be offered during fall and spring semester of the 2012-2013 academic year. The class will provide 2 semester credits; class meetings will be 55 minutes twice per week during the full semester term. After the 2012-2013 academic year, only semester versions of English 289H (ENGL 2089H) will be offered.

Contact your UHP academic advisor.