All UHP students now have the opportunity to build their honors learning portfolios using the web-based platform of their choice (within some parameters that are noted below). Students are no longer required to use the iWebfolio platform. Below are frequently asked questions regarding learning portfolios in general as well as the change in platform options.
What are the benefits of learning portfolios?
The learning portfolio showcases your experiences and learning at UC, both within and outside of University Honors. In doing so, it is intentionally designed to help you to reflect on your learning in a regular and integrated manner. Critically reflecting on your learning in this way, across individual courses and experiences, allows you to realize the following benefits:
- Over time, you can identify knowledge, skills and attitudes developed through courses and experiences, as well as areas for further future development.
- Each showcase offers an informal story of the course/project that takes your learning beyond the "A". You can include stories and evidence of learning that are significant and that are markers of your academic, personal and/or professional growth.
- The process of reflecting over time will better prepare you for experiences like job interviews, graduate school applications, scholarship essays, etc. For example, in job interviews, situational questions are often asked - e.g., "can you tell me a time when....?". The learning portfolio serves as a frame of reference and provides you with space to reflect on and refine how you describe what you've experienced and learned and also how that learning informs your future actions and goals.
- Faculty and staff who serve as writers for letters of recommendation can reference your learning portfolio (if you share it with them). The reflections in your portfolio extend the understanding of who you are and what you have accomplished beyond the brief resume.
Students have suggested a number of free web-based platforms. To date, we have tested and recommend the following platforms:
Should you select another free or pay-service platform, it must have the following features:
- Ability to create a unique URL
- Allow the feature to upload/download files
- Embed and/or incorporate Web 2.0 tools (web-generated content like YouTube, Vimeo, Slideshare, etc.)
- Offer an option to create an RSS feed for viewers to subscribe to your content
- Offer the opportunity for viewers to provide feedback and/or commentary