Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
The University of Cincinnati is committed to diversity and a campus culture of inclusion that is necessary for a rich learning and working environment and essential in preparing students to work, live and contribute to in an increasingly complex society and providing employees an accessible and inclusive workplace.
As part of this effort, the University is committed to the full inclusion of individuals with disabilities and continually improving the accessibility of our campus, programs and activities. The Office of Equal Opportunity and Access will help guide the University's efforts to move beyond compliance and toward seamless access. The Office of Equal Opportunity and Access collaborates with University offices, governmental agencies, and advocacy groups to inform decision-making and ensure University compliance with State and Federal mandates.
To accomplish this the Office is a referral point for information, services and resources; provides consultation on policy reviews and facilities planning; conducts workshops and training; serves as a clearing house for disability related complaints; and develops disability related initiatives.
Procedure for resolving requests for accommodation
Questions regarding the university's ADA Acommodation Request Procedures or about an accommodation request should be directed to Employee Disability Services (513-584-4482) or Human Resources (513-556-6381).
Common Examples of Reasonable Accommodation
- Making physical modifications to the workplace, acquiring equipment or assistive devices or modifying existing equipment
- Making policy exceptions
- Using different supervisory methods or modes of communicating
- Job restructuring
- Part time work or modified work schedules
- Sign language interpreters or readers
- Leave of absence
- Reassignment to a vacant position
Reasonable Accommodation – Practical Tips
- Communication, exchange information, search for solutions, and consult resources as needed
- Employee must cooperate in providing legitimately requested information
Actions NOT Required as a Reasonable Accommodation
- Removing an essential job function or hiring someone else to perform it
- Lowering production or performance standards
- Excusing misconduct
- Providing ‘personal use items’ such as eyeglasses, wheelchairs, or prosthetic limbs