Human ResourcesUniversity of CincinnatiHuman Resources HomeAdmin & Finance

Human Resources

Frequently Asked Questions about Dependent Verification

Dependent Verification

1. Why does UC require employees to provide dependent verification documents?

The University of Cincinnati is sensitive to the rising costs of health care and feels that the verification process is necessary:

  • In order to control premium and claim costs, insurance dollars should only be paid for eligible dependents.
  • Dependent verification is an important tool to maintain enrollment accuracy and prevent fraud.

2. What is the definition of eligible dependent?

Spouse:  A person of the same or opposite gender to whom an employee is legally married (for same sex couples: married in a state that recognizes such marriages).    

Domestic Partner:  Same or opposite gender qualifying domestic partner.

Child:  The employee's natural, step, or adopted child under age 26.

  • The employee's child of any age if disabled prior to reaching the Plan's limiting age and who is incapable of self-sustaining employment due to being mentally or physically handicapped.  The child must meet all of the qualifications of a dependent as determined by the IRS.
  • Other children under the Plan's limiting age may be eligible for coverage if approved court order or legal guardianship exists.

3. What type of documents am I required to submit?

Documents include such items as marriage certificates, birth certificates, and copies of other documents that validate current relationship.  Refer to the Benefits website for a list of acceptable documents.

4. Where do I send the documents?

Employees will be contacted by HMS Employer Solutions and should submit documentation as requested.

5. Will exceptions be made to allow my ineligible dependent to obtain coverage?

No. Only dependents eligible for coverage according to the plan's eligibility rules will be covered.

6. Will I be reimbursed for the cost of obtaining these documents?

No.  Any charges for making or obtaining copies of documents is the employee's responsibility.

7. If I am unable to provide verification documents for a dependent, will I have an opportunity to add that dependent to my coverage in the future if I can prove eligibility?

Yes, however, employees will be required to wait until the Plan's annual enrollment period unless the individual's eligibility status changes because of a qualifying event (e.g. a child is adopted, marriage, etc.) Documentation will be required at the time of enrollment.

8. What if I am unable to provide the standard documentation required?

Refer to the Benefits website for additional information and resources to obtain the required documents.

9. What if I have additional questions?

Employees can call UC Human Resources at 513-556-6381 for additional questions.