1. Why does UC require employees to provide dependent verification documents?
The University of Cincinnati is sensitive to the rising costs of health care and feels that the verification process is necessary:
2. What is the definition of eligible dependent?
Spouse: A person of the opposite gender to whom you are legally married.
Domestic Partner: Same or opposite gender qualifying domestic partner.
Child: The employee's natural, step, or adopted child under age 26.
3. What type of documents am I required to submit?
Documents include such items as marriage certificates, birth certificates, and copies of other documents that validate current relationship. Refer to the Benefits website for a list of acceptable documents.
4. Where do I send the documents?
Employees will be contacted by HMS Employer Solutions and should submit documentation as requested.
5. Will exceptions be made to allow my ineligible dependent to obtain coverage?
No. Only dependents eligible for coverage according to the plan's eligibility rules will be covered.
6. Will I be reimbursed for the cost of obtaining these documents?
No. Any charges for making or obtaining copies of documents is the employee's responsibility.
7. If I am unable to provide verification documents for a dependent, will I have an opportunity to add that dependent to my coverage in the future if I can prove eligibility?
Yes, however, employees will be required to wait until the Plan's annual enrollment period unless the individual's eligibility status changes because of a qualifying event (e.g. a child is adopted, marriage, etc.) Documentation will be required at the time of enrollment.
8. What if I am unable to provide the standard documentation required?
Refer to the Benefits website for additional information and resources to obtain the required documents.
9. What if I have additional questions?
Employees can call UC Human Resources at 513-556-6381 for additional questions.