Matthew Williams, Assistant Director
Matt transitioned to OIS in early 2012 as an Information Security Officer after spending 14 years working with other entities of the university (Office of Asset Management, Printing & Duplicating Services). His original responsibilities with OIS included providing UC Flex (SAP) Security Administration, Access Control, and Project Support as well as leading Special Projects. In 2013 he became the Information Security Manager responsible for day-to-day management of Governance & Compliance, Education & Awareness, Information Security Risk Management & Consulting, Information Security Operations, and Business Continuity & Disaster Recovery.
In 2014, Matt assumed his current role as the Assistant Director of Information Security where his current responsibilities include:
- Utilizing industry best practices, latest cyber security research, and tested trends to develop, implement, and execute data security and compliance strategic planning for the university.
- Collaborating with university leadership and technology experts. Providing data security and compliance in-house consultant support to IT@UC and university leadership, colleges and other university academic and administrative units.
- Providing leadership and oversight to critical data security and compliance projects, and to ensure their alignment with UC’s third century.
- Setting department mission and providing leadership to a group of information security professionals within the Office of Information Security. Delegating day-to-day management for the areas of Governance & Compliance, Education & Awareness, Information Security Risk Management & Consulting, Information Security Operations, and Business Continuity & Disaster Recovery to appropriate staff.
- Developing, implementing, monitoring, and reporting on data security/compliance baselines and matrices to ensure continuous improvement and enhance maturity of security initiatives and processes.
- Leading the information security risk management function for the university via periodic risk assessment meetings to identify, track, and mitigate information security-related risks while assisting university units in making risk-driven decisions.
Matt also currently teaches as an adjunct faculty member with the School of Information Technology in the College of Education, Criminal Justice & Human Services (CECH).
Matt has an Associate Degree in Information Technology from the College of Applied Science (CAS), a Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology from the School of Information Technology in the College of Education, Criminal Justice & Human Services (CECH) and is continuing his studies towards obtaining his MBA from the Lindner College of Business.
Matt is a member of the following professional organizations: HTCIA (High Technology Crime Investigation Association), ISACA (Information Systems Audit and Control Association), (ISC)2 (The International Information Systems Security Certification Consortium, Inc) and is a founding officer and 2014-2015 Treasurer of the (ISC)2 Cincinnati Tri-State Chapter.
- Education - AS in Information Technology, BS in Information Technology
- Professional Certifications - Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP), Certified Information Systems Manager (CISM), GIAC Security Leadership (GSLC), ITIL v3 Foundations, QualysGuard Certified Specialist