UC International ProgramsUniversity of Cincinnati

UC International Programs

Disabilities Abroad

Study Abroad Resources

Students should be prepared for the fact that disability may be culturally defined. Attitudes toward disability and levels of accessibility can vary greatly from country to country. Students are encouraged to contact Mobility International for additional assistance in finding programs and overseas support services.

The links below provide country-specific information on disability-related attitudes and legislation, as well as details on accessibility at selected study abroad sites. This represents a sampling of the available programs. Students are encouraged to investigate/discuss other possibilities with their study abroad adviser. Neither UC International Programs nor Disability Services endorse or verify the accuracy of the information provided concerning site accessibility.


National Clearinghouse on Disability & Exchange  (NCDE) is a comprehensive one-stop resource on advising and tools for people with disabilities, professionals, educational institutions and organization on increasing disability inclusion in international study, volunteer, teach, and other exchange programs.


Study Abroad Now Available to Students with Disabilities On a faculty-led study abroad program twelve Wright State University students traveled to Switzerland this summer as part of the University Center for International Education’s (UCIE) first ambassador program specifically designed for both able-bodied and physically challenged students.


Disability Services is strongly committed to maintaining an environment that guarantees students with disabilities full access to educational programs, activities, and facilities.

Top 10 Questions for Study Abroad students with Disabilities

  • Do you have a disability services (DS) contact for your study abroad program (SAP) — and have you shared this info with UC International Programs and Director, Matthew Sauer?
  • Have you scheduled a check-in appointment with your ODS disability adviser regarding any disability-related accommodations needed in your SAP?
  • If you have a chronic illness (medical or psychiatric)—have you checked in with your current clinician and/or with the Counciling Center or University Health Services?
  • Have you located local clinician referrals in the event of a flare-up or other disability-related needs?
  • If you use any disability-related aids or equipment (e.g. ASL interpreters, FM assistive listening devices, strobe alarms, orientation and mobility (O+M) training, assistive technology, etc.)—do you have local referrals? (miusa.org is an excellent resource!)
  • If you have specific disability-related travel needs, have you been in touch with airline disability services personnel?
  • Have you communicated your housing needs for the coming academic year with a designated proxy/friend?