Searching for Housing Independently?
Students are permitted to live anywhere in the Cincinnati area. However, we recommend that exchange students stay with Stratford Heights, Conversa Manor, or Conversa House. These are reputable options that have been vetted by UC International Programs. Keep in mind that when you decide to deal with a local landlord UC International Programs cannot intervene on your behalf if there is a disagreement. You must make sure that you understand the terms of the rental agreement before you sign it. Here are some steps to take when searching for an apartment and questions to ask your potential landlord.
1. Find out What's Available
2. Questions for the Landlord
• How many minutes does it take to get to UC walking? And driving?
• Is there a bus line close by?
• What type of apartment is it? A house? An apartment complex?
• How many bedrooms does it have?
• How much is the rent per month?
• Is a security deposit required?
• What type of lease term is offered (monthly, 6 month, 9 month, year)?
• Are pets allowed? Is an extra security deposit required for pets?
• What kind of heat is used (gas, electric, etc.)?
• Who pays for utilities (heat, electric, water, etc.)?
• Is the apartment furnished or unfurnished?
• What type of flooring is there (carpet, hardwood, tile)?
• Is there a stove? Is there a refrigerator?
• Is there air conditioning? Are there laundry facilities?
• How soon will the apartment be available?
Warning: There are multiple components on this page with the Custom ID . Custom IDs can only be used once on a page. Please change the Custom ID of one of these components.
What is rent?
Rent is a payment for the temporary use of property which is owned by a landlord. The payments for the use of the property is called, rent.
What is a landlord?
The landlord is the owner of the property. In your case the landlord is the owner of the apartment building or house in which you will live for a designated period of time.
What is a tenant?
YOU are a tenant. Every month you will pay rent to the landlord to occupy the house or apartment building in which you live.
What is a lease or rental agreement?
A lease should ALWAYS be in writing. A lease is an agreement between the landlord and the tenant. The lease gives the tenant the right to rent property for a period of time, as long as the tenant follows the agreement. The lease should explain the terms for renting the property including; rent, penalties for late payments, length of the rental, and the amount of notice required before either person cancels the agreement. The landlord is responsible for repairs and property maintenance, but you are responsible for keeping the property clean and safe.