Changing Status to F-1 Student

If you are currently on a non-immigrant status (except C, D, J subject to two year home residency or K visa status) you may have the ability to change your status to F-1 within the United States. To be eligible to change status in the U.S., your current status must not expire until at least 30 days prior to start date of classes for the semester you will begin your studies. Dependents of students (F-2 and M-2) and B-2 tourists must change status in order to study at a college/university full time. A dependent child in E, H-4, I, J-2, L-2, O-3, P-4, R-2, or TD status, must change status in order to remain lawfully in the U.S. after the 21st birthday, after marriage, or after moving out of the parent's household. Dependent children in A and G status may remain in status after age 21, but not after marriage or becoming independent of the principal.

Changing status to F-1 student is a cooperative effort between you the prospective student, UC International Services and U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).Once you are admitted to UC you should review the application instructions in the attached Change of Status to F-1 Student File. Once all the application materials are complete/obtained, call 513-556-4278 to schedule an appointment (if currently residing in Cincinnati), or mail the documents (if not residing in Cincinnati) to us at:

47 W. Corry St
UC International Services
3134 Edwards One
Cincinnati, Ohio 45221-0540
* Change of Status to F-1 Student (107.6 KB)
This guide has been prepared to help you understand what is necessary to change status and what the chances might be for your particular application.