Changing Status to J-2 Dependent

The DOS and USCIS generally do not look favorably on a request by a J-1 exchange visitor to change to J-2 dependent status, since the J-1 exchange visitor is expected to return home immediately upon completion of the exchange visitor program in the United States. Such requests usually are either denied or referred to the DOS. Any other alien who wishes to request a change of status to J-2 should schedule an appointment with UC International Services. We will review all documents to ensure that the petition is in proper order. To schedule an appointment, please call 513-556-4278.

To change status to J-2 the following documents will be required:

  1. A completed I-539 change of status application form. We recommend using the ELIS system I-539 (see link below). Put the form in draft status and bring it to us to review.
  2. A fee payable to the Department of Homeland Security for $290.00.
  3. A DS-2019 issued for the J-2 Dependent (this will be made during the appointment).
  4. Copies of passport, visa, I-94 card (front and back) and all certificates of eligibility or I-797 approval notices issued to the prospective J-2 beneficiary.
  5. Copies of passport, visa, I-94 card (front and back) and all DS-2019's for the J-1 who will support the prospective J-2.
  6. Proof of marriage of the J-1 and prospective J-2.
  7. Proof of financial support for the J-1 and J-2.
  8. All documents will be uploaded to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Service Center through the ELIS-Electronic Immigration System. The ELIS system can be found here.