Skip to main content

For TN, B, E, O, & All Other Visa Statuses

Students interacting

Quick Links

For Students Currently in the U.S. Who Will Study on a non-F-1 Status

If you are a non-immigrant visa holder (E-2, H-4, L-2, etc) you are allowed to study on that status. Dependent children can study on these statuses until age 21. If you wish to study at UC on your current immigration status, you will need to email us copies of the following documents in PDF format:

  • Copy of your visa stamp
  • Copy of your I-94 card (front and back) if your most recent entry to the U.S. was prior to April 30, 2013. If your most recent entry occurred after April 30, 2013, print out an electronic copy of the I-94 at
  • Copy of your passport
  • Copy of approval notices form I-797 for any status changes/extensions you have been granted

You must return these documents to our office prior to beginning your studies at UC.

Changing your Status to F-1

If your current immigration status is not F-1 and you wish to change your status to that of a student, please download our Changing to F-1 Status packet and follow its instructions. This information is also available on our Change to F-1 Status page. Make an appointment with our office when you have assembled all the required documents needed.

PDF icon

I-539 Form for Application to Extend / Change Nonimmigrant Status
      You should use this form if you are a nonimmigrant and wish to apply to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration
      Services (USCIS) for an extension of stay or a change to another nonimmigrant status.

PDF icon

I-539 Instructions for Application to Extend / Change Nonimmigrant Status
      Read these instructions carefully to properly complete Form I-539.