Skip to main content

Maintaining J-1 Exchange Visitor Status

The responsibility for maintaining your Exchange Visitor status lies with you. There are several important things you must do to maintain status. First, you must engage only in activities permitted under your J-1 program and category, file timely and appropriate transfer and extension notifications, refrain from unauthorized employment, and maintain required health insurance coverage. Each category may have additional specific requirements. See the Director of the UC International Services with any questions you may have.

In addition, your passport must be valid at all times. For example, if your passport expires on July 1, 2011, you should have it renewed by the Embassy or Consulate of the country which issued the passport prior to July 1, 2011. It is recommended that you start at least 6 months prior to expiration. Addresses of embassies and consulates are available from the UC International Services.

You must also report a change of residence to the UC International Services within ten days of the change. The USCIS requires that they have your current address and phone number at all times. Reporting any changes to the UC International Services satisfies that requirement.