Changing Status to J-1 Exchange Visitor

If you are currently on a non-immigrant visa you may have the ability to change your status to J-1. If you hold J-2 status and are subject to two year home residency or have been present in the U.S. for more than 6 months, you are ineligible to change status to J-1. In addition, if you hold C, D, or K visa status you are ineligible to change status to J-1. Finally, to be eligible to change status to J-1 status in the U.S., your current status must not expire until at least 30 days prior to the start date of your proposed J-1 exchange visitor program.

Changing status to J-1 student is a cooperative effort between you, UC International Services and U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Once a UC department has decided to sponsor you as a J-1 Exchange Visitor you should review the application instructions in the attached Change of Status to J-1 Exchange Visitor File. Once all the application materials are complete/obtained, call 513-556-4278 to schedule an appointment (if currently residing in Cincinnati), or mail the documents (if not residing in Cincinnati) to us at:

47 W. Corry St
UC International Services
3134 Edwards One
Cincinnati, Ohio 45221-0540
* Change of Status to J-1 Exchange Visitor (76.7 KB)
This guide has been prepared to help you understand what is necessary to change status and what the chances might be for your particular application.