Changing Status to F-2 Dependent
An F-1 student currently studying in the U.S. may change immigration status to F-2 (dependent of an F-1) provided that:
- The F-1 who wishes to change to F-2 status is currently maintaining proper F-1 status.
- 2. The F-1 spouse for whom the student will be an F-2 dependent is currently maintaining F-1 status and can prove that he or she has the finances necessary to support the F-2. If the F-1 is currently attending the University of Cincinnati, we require $4,000 in additional support for an F-2 spouse. Other schools may have different requirements.
Students (the F-1 and/or prospective F-2) who are enrolled at the University of Cincinnati should schedule an appointment with an advisor at UC International Services. We will review all documents to ensure that the petition is in proper order. To schedule an appointment, please call 556-4278. To change status from F-1 to F-2 the following documents will be required:
- A completed I-539 change of status application form. (See link below). Print and complete the form.
- A fee payable to the Department of Homeland Security for $290.00.
- An I-20 issued for the F-2 Dependent (this will be made during the appointment).
- Copies of passport, visa, I-94 card (front and back) or electronic I-94 and all I-20's for the F-1 wishing to change to F-2 status.
- Copies of passport, visa, I-94 card (front and back) or electronic I-94 and all I-20's for the F-1 who will support the prospective F-2.
- Proof of marriage of the F-1 and prospective F-2.
- Proof of financial support for the F-1 and F-2.
The I-539 form can be found here.