Skip to main content

Academic Training (J-1 Students)

Academic training is authorized employment which is related to a student’s field of study. It is intended to provide hands-on, practical experience complementary to the academic degree. J-1 students are eligible for up to 18 months of practical training upon completion of their degree (3 years for post doctoral training). Academic training must be authorized before employment may legally begin.

Application for academic training must be made no later than date of completion of studies indicated on the DS-2019. The student must have a job offer related to his / her field of study in order to request academic training.

To apply, please submit an Academic Training eForm by going go You will find the Academic Training eForm under the J-1 Student Services link. You will need the following information to complete the request:

  • Name of employer
  • Address of employment
  • Hours to be worked
  • Date of degree completion
  • Description of job duties
  • Name of supervisor
  • Phone number and email of supervisor
  • Employment Identification Number (EIN)

If you are planning to travel outside the U.S. while on academic training, contact UC International Services for instructions. You are still under the jurisdiction of the University of Cincinnati, even though your place of employment may be located elsewhere in the U.S.

You are responsible for being aware of the end date on your DS-2019. You must apply to the office in good time for any necessary extensions of stay required to keep your status through the entire period of academic training.

Until you have been in the U.S. more than five (5) years, social security (FICA) taxes shoud not be withheld from the wages of a J-1 on Academic Training. Earnings are, however, subject to all local income taxes and federal taxes where a tax treaty is not applicable