Skip to main content

Off Campus Housing

Graduate and Family Housing

The Office of Off-Campus Housing is located on the West Campus in the Housing Office in the lower level of the Stratford Heights Pavilion (2634 Stratford Ave.).  The purpose of the office is two-fold: to assist students in finding appropriate housing in the community surrounding the Uptown campuses, and to provide resources and information that will facilitate a smooth transition.  Emphasis is on graduate students, students with families, and visiting scholars.

In terms of securing housing, it is of vital importance that students have the necessary knowledge and understanding to make informed decisions.  In this regard, the office maintains educational information such as Leasing Tips & Resources, Ohio Tenant Law, Transportation Services, such as the University sponsored Bearcat Transportation System (shuttle) and Metro (city bus service), and other Community Resources to assist your transition to Cincinnati on their website,

The university has compiled a comprehensive list of off-campus apartment buildings containing twenty (20) or more units, located in neighborhoods adjacent to campus – Clifton Gaslight, Clifton/Fairview/University Heights, and Corryville.  The majority of these rentals are within walking distance of the Uptown West and the Uptown East Academic Health Center Campuses.  However, if you would rather not walk, the university provides a free shuttle service during the academic year that traverses the surrounding neighborhoods, with numerous stops on both campuses.     

On a much smaller scale, private listings are posted that offer rental information to those seeking a more private accommodation, such as a home, two-family, duplex, a vacancy in a 4-unit building, or perhaps a bedroom in a shared house. The comprehensive list, corresponding maps, and the private listings are also available on our website

In addition, for degree-seeking graduate students, the offers an interactive off-campus housing program, Off-Campus Housing Needs, which provides an easy way for students to post and search for housing and/or roommate needs. To access this information students need your username (6+2) and Central Login password, as you are connecting to a UC website that requires authentication of your student status.  You may go directly to to access this information.

Should you need transitional housing upon your arrival, Housing & Food Services provides temporary accommodations from July 29 - August 8 for a nightly fee of $25.00 (linens can also be rented).  See the “How to Request Temporary Housing” section for more details. 

Further questions about off-campus housing can be directed to

To Landlords

This office provides a venue for landlords to list their available apartments for free, where potential tenants can access this listing.The list is updated on a regular basis. Landlords can apply for this service by clicking here.

To Students

Online Off-Campus Housing Listings is updated on a regular basis, so please check back regularly. Although we believe that the listing is accurate, neither the University of Cincinnati nor the Housing department endorse or guarantee any specific apartment or lease.

Great diversity exists in off-campus housing opportunities for University of Cincinnati graduate students. The Graduate School has developed an interactive web site that provides an easy way to post and search for housing and/or roommate needs. Whether you are looking for a roommate to split housing costs or looking for a new place to stay, you have come to the right place. UC’s Off-Campus Housing Needs site is the place to find answers to these questions and more.

Additional resources to find roommates and local apartments:

When you rent a room or an apartment you will be required to sign a lease. A lease is a written contract between you and the landlord (the owner of the rental property). When you sign a lease, you agree to pay a certain amount of money each month and to follow certain rules in exchange for the right to occupy the rental property for a set period of time. Most lease agreements require that you pay a security deposit which is usually equal to one month’s rent. This security deposit will be returned to you if you fulfill all the terms of the lease. Read the lease carefully and be sure you understand it before signing it.

Here are some key questions to ask any landlord when considering an apartment:

  • How many minutes does it take to get to UC walking? And driving?
  • Is there a bus line close by?
  • What type of apartment is it? A house? An apartment complex?
  • How many bedrooms does it have?
  • How much is the rent per month?
  • Is a security deposit required?
  • What type of lease is offered (monthly, 6 month, 9 month, year)?
  • Are children allowed?
  • Are pets allowed? Is an extra security deposit required for pets?
  • What kind of heat is used (gas, electric, oil, etc.)?
  • Who pays for utilities (heat, electric, water, etc.)?
  • Is the apartment furnished or unfurnished?
  • What type of flooring is there (carpet, hardwood, tile)?
  • Is there a stove? Is there a refrigerator?
  • What type of parking is available (garage, off-street parking, on-street parking)?
  • How soon will the apartment be available?

Once you have moved in, your main responsibilities are to pay rent on time (use checks only; do not pay with cash) and keep the property in a clean and safe condition. While you have responsibilities to pay rent and keep the property in good condition, your landlord has responsibilities, too. If you believe the landlord is treating you differently than he would treat an American student, or if the landlord is not keeping the property in working condition, tell the landlord to repair the property. Be assertive about the problems and required repairs. Do not accept negligence from your landlord. Demand that the apartment is in a safe, clean, livable condition. Otherwise, you are inviting the landlord to victimize you.

If you have problems with your landlord, it is a good idea to photograph the contested areas of the apartment which are in disrepair. In addition, put all of your complaints in writing, send your landlord a copy, and keep a copy of your complaints for your own files. Let the landlord know that you are willing to go to court if the problems continue. If the problems are not resolved, consider taking legal action. UC International Services maintains a list of legal counsels for this.