Skip to main content

Income Tax Filing Responsibilities

What is a Tax Report?

Every year the US government (Federal) and the individual state governments (in most cases for everyone at UC this would be Ohio), require that we file what is known as a Tax Return (Report) to each government. A tax “return” is type of “report” that you will send to each government (Federal and State) that states how much you earned, were taxed, and should have been taxed during the year 2012. So you are “returning a report” on your taxes for 2012. Most of you will have until April 15, 2013 to file this tax report for 2012. Some of you may get a Refund (because you paid too much in taxes), some of you may Owe money (because you did not pay enough taxes).

Special Note for 2012: We have been notified by the IRS that it may take four months for them to process anyone’s return that is reporting a refund.

Who needs to file an Income Tax Return (Report)?

Everyone who was physically present in the United States on a F-1, F-2, J-1, J-2, H-1B, TN, or O immigration status for any time between January 1, 2012 and December 31, 2012 (even if it was for one day) must file a 2012 Federal Income Tax Report. This includes dependents (F-2s, J-2s) regardless of their age. 2012 Federal Income Tax Reports are to be completed and mailed (postmarked) by April 15, 2013. If you are currently overseas or received no U.S. income during 2012 the deadline for you is (postmarked by) June 15, 2013.