Skip to main content

Social Security Number or ITIN

If you worked and earned money from a US source in 2013 you will need a Social Security Number (SSN) in order to file your tax return.

If you did not work and earn any money in 2013 from a US source you do not need a Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).

Dependents who are being claimed as deductions on an income tax report, must have a SSN or an ITIN. A dependent in most cases can only be claimed on a Resident Alien tax report. However spouses from Canada, Mexico, Korea, Japan and Indian (students, not researchers from India) may be eligible to be claimed on a Non-Resident Alien return. In order to determine which kind of number your dependents need, use the following as a guide:

Individuals who need an ITIN are: Individuals who will not need a SSN or ITIN:
  1. F-2's being claimed on a tax report.
  2. J-2's with NO work authorization but being claimed on a tax report.
  3. H-4's being claimed on a tax report.
  4. T-D's being claimed on a tax report.
  1. F-1s, F-2s and J-1s, J-2s who did not earn any US income in 2012 and are filing Form 8843 by itself.

If you are using Glacier TP, it will assist you in applying for ITIN's for dependents that qualify.

Contact James Tenney at if you need ITIN application materials because you are a Resident Alien for Tax Purposes (click here to check) and are NOT going to use Glacier TP.