Frequently Asked Tax Questions
How do I get a Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)?
Applying for a New Social Security Number
To apply for a Social Security Number you must do the following:
- The applicant must appear in person at the local Social Security Administration Office with passport, visa, I-94 card and Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 or DS-2019) if applicable.
- Bring the appropriate letter from UC International Services regarding employment status- this will be issued after you have completed the Employment Eligibility Verification/Social Security Letter Request: Receiving a UC Paycheck eForm through iStart.
- Complete form SS-5 Application for a Social Security Card (Available at UC International Services).
Only international visitors who have a visa status which allows for Employment can obtain a social security number. The local Social Security Office is located at:
Social Security Administration
550 Main Street
Cincinnati, OH 45202
Applying for an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN)
An ITIN would be issued to any individual who is not eligible to work in the United States but may need a tax ID number to be paid an honorarium, certain scholarships or awards, or being claimed on a Tax Return as a dependent (not all dependents qualify). There are two ways that you can apply for an ITIN:
- The applicant can appear in person at a local IRS office with passport and appropriate documentation and fill out a form W-7. The W-7 is then processed by the IRS and an ITIN is issued in about 6 weeks. The IRS office located at:
Internal Revenue Service
550 Main St.
Cincinnati, OH 45202
- The applicant can appear in person before an IRS acceptance agent, who will examine the identity documents and then mail the application to the IRS. UC International Services is an IRS acceptance agent. Call 556-4278 to make an appointment.
Where do I go if I need Help?
UC International Servcies "The Advisor": UC International Services will send out information on where to find assistance with taxes such as our tax volunteer program and CINTAX usage when it is time to file a tax return, or for information on when it is time to renew a tax treaty benefit, if eligible. Click here to sign up for "The Advisor".
Websites: Websites you can use to obtain help or forms:
- The Internal Revenue Service (Federal Taxes): www.irs.gov
- The Ohio Department of Revenue (State of Ohio Taxes): www.tax.ohio.gov
- The Indiana Department of Revenue (State of Indiana Taxes): www.in.gov/dor
- The Kentucky Revenue Cabinet (State of Kentucky Taxes): revenue.ky.gov
- Other State Tax Sites can be accessed from this web page at www.aicpa.org.
If all else fails…: If you have tax questions not answered by any of the FAQ's on the UC International Services website contact: James Tenney, Assistant Director UC International Services Email:James.Tenney@uc.edu