B Status

woman at conference

B-1, B-2, W-B, and W-T Visa Statuses

The B-1 visa is suitable for short-term visits, less than 90 days, with no salary, for the purpose of lab observation, business meetings and conferences, training, medical clerkships, or one-time lectures. If the foreign national will conduct research, the B-1 is not appropriate. The B-2 visa is generally for pleasure, tourism, or medical treatment; or for visiting a friend or relatives for a short period of time.

WB/WT status allows citizens of a limited number of countries to visit the United States for up to 90 days without a B-1 visa under the Visa Waiver Program. Visitors entering for business purposes are admitted in WB status and visitors entering for pleasure are admitted in WT status.

International visitors coming to perform limited services on B status will need an invitation letter detailing the dates and purpose of the visit. View the sample letters below for more information.

Visa Waiver Program (W-T, W-B)

International visitors who qualify for B status may enter the U.S. without first obtaining a visa if they are from one of the following countries:

Andorra, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brunei, Chile, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, and United Kingdom.

Individuals will be issued an I-94 card indicating visa waiver for business (W-B) or visa waiver for tourism (W-T) upon arrival in the U.S.

UC International Certification

The Limited Services Engagement Form and Foreign Visitor Supplement are to be completed by the international visitor prior to coming to campus. This will help ensure that the visitor is eligible to receive the payment in question. However, in most cases, supporting documents will not be collected until the visitor enters the U.S. and arrives on campus. It is the responsibility of the sponsoring department to:

  1. Have the international visitor complete the Limited Services Engagement Form and the Foreign Visitor Supplement.
  2. Verify that the visitor holds an immigration status that allows for honoraria payments prior to providing services.
  3. Send the forms to UC International Services (mail location #0640) with all appropriate supporting documentation. Supporting documentation will include:
    • A completed A-114
    • Copy of passport identification page (if applicable)
    • Copy of I-94 card (front and back)
    • Original documentation for reimbursement (if applicable)
    • Form 8233 (for tax treaty benefits, if applicable)

Upon receipt of the above documents, UC International Services will certify what payments can be made and send all materials to Accounts Payable. Notification will be sent to the sponsoring departments by UC International Services when the request for payment is sent to Accounts Payable.

Payment Policies

The University of Cincinnati brings many international visitors to campus each year to engage in a host of important activities including teaching, conducting research, giving lectures or performances, and other activities of an educational nature. It is important to understand that the type of payments that can be made depends upon the immigration status of the international visitor. 

Requests for payments typically take 3-4 days to process and may not be submitted to Accounts Payable until:

  • The international visitor physically enters the U.S.
  • The appropriate documentation is collected and sent to UC International with the above Limited Services Engagement Form and Foreign Visitor Supplement.
  • UC International Services signs and sends the documents to Accounts Payable for payment.

Tax Treaty Benefits

Any international visitor receiving payment who is from a country that has a reciprocal tax treaty with the US may claim exemption from federal taxes being withheld on their payments.  This is done by completing the form 8233. Failure to complete the form will result in withholding on payments. A list of countries that have a reciprocal tax treaty with the U.S. for individuals performing limited services can be downloaded here.

PDF icon

Download IRS Form 8233 Instructions
      Read these instructions carefully to properly complete IRS Form 8233.

PDF icon

Download IRS Form 8233
      Exemption From Withholding on Compensation for Independent (and Certain Dependent) Personal Services of a Nonresident Alien Individual.

Social Security/Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers

International visitors eligible to receive tax treaty benefits must have either a social security number (SSN) or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) to claim the treaty benefit. Individuals without an SSN or ITIN will have 30% of the payment withheld and need not complete the 8233.

International visitors wanting to apply for an ITIN to claim a tax treaty benefit should call UC International Services at 513-556-4278 to schedule an appointment for processing. UC International Services is an acceptance agent for the University and can apply for an ITIN on the visitors’ behalf.  Instructions for obtaining either number are available from UC International Services.

Documentation of Expenses

Ordinary documentation of expenses includes such things as hotel/airline receipts, mileage figures, meal receipts, etc.  Documentation of expenses should be submitted when there is an additional payment (honoraria, etc.) being requested. If reimbursements of expenses are the only payments being made to an international visitor, the request should be sent directly to Accounts Payable by the sponsoring department. The Limited Services Engagement Form and Foreign Visitor Supplement are not needed in such cases.


Limited Services Engagement Form and Foreign Visitor Supplement

The Limited Services Engagement Form and Foreign Visitor Supplement are the required forms for requesting payment for services rendered by an international visitor at the University of Cincinnati performing services for 9 days or less.

  • B-2 & W-T: Honoraria / expenses for stays of 9 days or less.
  • B-1 & W-B: Honoraria / expenses for stays of 9 days or less, or expenses for stays in excess of 9 days.

Services that require more than 9 days of services should be processed using a Personal Services Contract. This form is not to be used in cases where the international visitor will be classified as a UC employee or when the international visitor is receiving reimbursement of expenses only.

* Limited Services Engagement Form (161.8 KB)
Organizational units may submit this form with an A114 Request for Payment, for services rendered by an individual contractor.
* Foreign Visitor Supplement (244.5 KB)
Organizational units should complete this form and submit it with or attach it to any Personal Services Contract, Limited Services Engagement Form, Non-UC-Student Scholarship/Fellowship form or Royalty Payment form for which the payee is neither a US citizen nor a Lawful Permanent Resident (green-card holder).