Health & Safety Abroad

Snow campus pavilion

UC International is committed to student and faculty safety while abroad. The following are a few resources for travel abroad.

Health Insurance Expand

UC faculty, students and staff are responsible for their own health and accident insurance while studying abroad, including coverage for medical evacuation and repatriation of remains.  UC International has contracted an international insurance negotiated rate with CISI insurance for UC faculty and students traveling on faculty-led programs or individual long-term study aboad. UC faculty and staff traveling individually are responsible for their own health and accident insurance while traveling abroad. Prior to travel, it is your responsibility to check with your insurance company to verify that you have overseas coverage. If you are covered under a UC medical policy and have questions about coverage, please refer to the Plan's Summary Description (which can be found online) or contact UC HR. Click here for more information

Health Advisories and Immunizations Expand

UC faculty, students and staff are responsible for their own health and safety abroad. The US Department of StateCenters for Disease Control Prevention (CDC) and International SOS are excellent resources for country specific information.

International SOS Expand

UC partners with International SOS medical and security advice. UC code is 11BCAS000010

UC students, faculty and staff can utilize International SOS in the following ways:

  • Sign up to receive email alerts for medical and security information, customizable to various locations abroad
  • Read about travel health information with medical advice, food and water safety, and cultural tips
  • Explore travel security with personal safety tips and travel risk ratings for locations abroad

US Department of State’s “STEP” Program Expand

UC faculty, students and staff traveling abroad should register their travel abroad through the US Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) in case of an emergency abroad.

International Student/Teacher ID Card (ISIC/ITIC) Expand

The International Student/Teacher ID Card (ISIC/ITIC) is an internationally, UNESCO endorsed proof of bona fide student/teacher status. An ISIC/ITIC card provides a number benefits and services the world over. This card is optional for UC students and faculty traveling abroad.  UC students and faculty can apply for an ISIC/ITIC card online at