Minor Student Travelers

Who is considered a minor? Which study abroad programs are they eligible for?

A minor student at the University of Cincinnati and UC International Programs is identified as any student who is under the age of eighteen (18, and therefore under the age of legal responsibility) at the point of time that the student first applies for his/her study abroad program.

Minor Students (under the age of 18 who are degree-seeking, matriculated students) are able to participate on any UC International programs that are led by a UC faculty/staff leader pending admission into a program and the completion of minor participation documents.

Minor students are generally ineligible to participate on UC Exchange Programs, UC Co-Op programs, and Thirrd Party Provider programs (e.g. USAC, ISA, etc.) due to these organizations additional application requirement.


Procedures for Minor Students Participating in UC Study Abroad Programs

  1. Minor student must be fully matriculated. This is defined by the University of Cincinnati as being enrolled within a degree program upon admission to the University of Cincinnati.
    1. Students participating in the University of Cincinnati’s College Credit Plus program are not permitted to participate in study abroad programs per the College Plus Program Policies.
  2. At the time of an application, the minor student and parents/guardians must sign all UC International forms and releases for studying abroad per student’s online application.
    1. Minor student must print and sign (and have his/her parents/guardians also sign) all UC International forms and releases for studying abroad that are part of their online application, and submit these to the UC International Office.
  3. Prior to travel, the minor student’s parents/guardians must complete all Minor Participation Documents for the study abroad experience. All documents require a notary’s signature. UC International will upload electronic copies to the student’s on-line application in Terra Dotta.
    1. University of Cincinnati - Consent for a Minor Study Abroad Travel and Participation
    2. University of Cincinnati - Travel Authorization of Minor to Leave US (for airlines, TSA, border agents)
    3. University of Cincinnati - Consent for Medical Treatment of Minor (for local clinic)


UC Faculty-Led Study Abroad Leaders with minor student participants on their program are strongly encouraged to:

  • Attend a Faculty Leadership seminar.
  • Notify all on-the-ground providers/arrangements of the upcoming minor travel, and verify if any additional documentation is needed.
  • Maintain access to copies of the Minor Participation Documents at all times while abroad.
  • Under the “Protecting Minors on Campus” Policy, faculty led study abroad programs are not covered. Therefore the following on-line training available through the Department of Enterprise Risk Management is not required. However, leaders may find this information beneficial: