UC International Student Grants
Students who would like to apply for a grants and are participating in an individual study abroad program (one that is not lead by a UC professor/instructor), should follow the deadlines listed below and click on the link to apply through our online application. Students traveling on faculty-led programs should not apply for individual grants, as they will receive a block grant.
- June 15th for fall travel
- November 15th for spring travel
- March 15th for summer travel
For grant eligibility and information on applying for the UC International Grant:
Grant Writing Workshops
Advisors from UC International Programs review the online grant application, explain the review process and are available to answer questions about your proposal. Both of these sessions will be held in Swift 709.
|Friday, November 06, 2015||10am|
|Friday, March 04, 2015||10am|
Office of Nationally Competitive Awards
There are six top scholarship awards that require university endorsement. There is a campus deadline by which students must apply for these scholarship awards. Please work closely with the Office of Nationally Competitive Awards in order to build the best application possible prior to the campus deadline. For more information please contact Pam Person, Director of Nationally Competitive Awards.
College & Departmental Grants
In addition to grants from UC International, a number of colleges, departments, and other units offer financial assistance for students to participate in an education abroad experience. For the three opportunities listed below, no additional application is required; if you have applied for a UC International grant and meet the qualifications listed below, you will also be considered for a college grant. Students who do not fit into any of the categories listed above should consult with their academic advisors and home colleges and departments.
College of Education, Criminal Justice, and Human Services
The College of Education, Criminal Justice, and Human Services (CECH) is proud to support undergraduate and graduate CECH students interested in pursuing study abroad opportunities. As a result of more and more students interested in studying outside of the United States and the educational value that can be obtained, CECH is offering grants that are available to assist with the financial side of this experience. Student grants are awarded based on merit, financial need and length of study abroad experience. No additional applications are necessary, however interested students must complete an application for a student grant with International Programs. Apply here or for more information, contact Ric Stackpole.
UC Blue Ash
UCBA students participating in UCBA study abroad programs are eligible for additional grant funding thanks to the support of Dean Cady Short-Thompson. UCBA students with questions about these grants should consult with the program director of their study abroad program. Information is available on the Blue Ash College Study Abroad website.
William and Shirley Merke Study Abroad Fund
Awarded by McMicken College of Arts & Sciences and UC International to any student, who is enrolled for a bona fide study abroad experience, regardless of his/her major or college degree. This scholarship is on hold for 2015-2016.
- Eligibility – US citizen, Pell Grant Recipient at time of application
- Scholarship – up to $5000 ($8,000 for critical language study)
- Period of Study – Summer (at least 4 weeks), Semester, and Academic Year
- Location – Encourages students to go to non-traditional study abroad destinations, but all locations are possible
- Application Deadline – Early March for summer and fall; Mid-September for spring
Boren Awards – National Security Education Program – Undergraduate Scholarship (graduate programs available)
- Eligibility – Merit-based scholarship, US citizen pursuing fields related to US national security.
- Scholarship – up to $20,000 for an academic year, up to $10,000 for a semester
- Period of Study – six weeks
- Location – a non-traditional, non-English speaking location (outside of Western Europe)r longer, preference given to academic year
- Application Deadline – Campus deadline early January
- Eligibility – US citizen planning to study abroad in Japan
- Scholarship – $2,500 for a semester, $4000 for a year abroad
- Period of Study – semester or academic year
- Application Deadline – Early October for spring, Early April for fall
English Speaking Union (ESU)
- Eligibility – Undergraduate and graduate students with the goal of promoting education and understanding among the English speaking peoples of the world.
- Scholarship – up to $2,000
- Period of Study – any
- Location – English Speaking country
- Application Deadline – Jan 31
- Eligibility – There are several different scholarships through this fund, some general, some specific. All require applicants to be U.S. citizens or permanent residents. The Rainbow Scholarship is specifically for LGBT students.
- Scholarship – up to $10,000
- Period of Study – minimum of 4 weeks abroad
- Location – any
- Application Deadline – see website for deadlines, typically mid Jan for the following year (summer, fall and spring)
- Eligibility – US citizen attending a public university in Ohio with a 3.0 GPA studying abroad for a semester.
- Scholarship – $1,500
- Period of Study – at least one semester
- Location – any
- Application Deadline – Oct 15th for spring semester and Feb 15th for fall semester programs.
- Eligibility - US citizen attending a public university in Ohio with a 3.0 GPA studying abroad for a summer.
- Scholarship - $1,000
- Period of study - at least 4 weeks
- Location - any
- Application Deadline - March 1st
Taft Undergraduate Enrichment Award (graduate also available)
- Eligibility – students must be majoring in one of the Taft departments within McMicken College of A&S
- Scholarship –$2,000 maximum
- Period of Study – any
- Location – any
- Application Deadline – see website
- Eligibility – preference for those majoring in international relations and Middle Eastern or Islamic Studies
- Scholarship – tuition and housing
- Period of Study – fall, spring or summer
- Location - Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Application Deadline – May 15 for fall; November 15 for spring, March 15 for summer