University of Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music Named Ohio Center of Excellence
Due to its international reputation as one of the world’s leading conservatories of performing and media arts, CCM was recognized for its tradition of excellence in a ceremony led by Ohio Board of Regents Chancellor Eric Fingerhut.
Date: 3/4/2011 12:00:00 AM
By: Curt Whitacre
Phone: (513) 556-2683
A tradition of excellence dating back to 1867 was recognized last night in special ceremonies led by Ohio Board of Regents Chancellor Eric D. Fingerhut. In an evening ceremony in the lobby of UC’s Patricia Corbett Theater, Chancellor Fingerhut, UC President Gregory H. Williams, CCM Interim Dean Frank Weinstock and distinguished alumna Pamela Myers (BFA, ‘69) as well as students, patrons, staff and faculty, gathered to recognize the University of Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music (CCM) as an Ohio Center of Excellence in Music and Theatre Arts
Ohio’s Centers of Excellence are distinctive, nationally recognized academic programs that serve as platforms for world-class academia and help draw new talent and investment to the state.
In recent decades, CCM has earned an international reputation as one of the world’s leading conservatories of performing and media arts. CCM’s vibrant programs, renowned faculty and state-of-the-art facilities attract students from every corner of the United States and from forty countries to develop talents as artists in their chosen fields.
The Ohio Center of Excellence distinction recognizes that CCM serves as a foundation for the performing arts in greater Cincinnati and beyond, with graduates and faculty members playing key roles in every performing arts organization in the area. For example:
- Composition, Musicology, Theory and other CCM alumni fill more than 85 faculty positions in institutions across the United States and internationally, including more than 20 positions in the Cincinnati area or in other parts of Ohio.
- Conducting graduates direct choirs and choruses from Cincinnati to Hong Kong.
- Dance graduates appear with the Cincinnati Ballet Company, the Martha Graham Dance Company and dance companies across America.
- Drama graduates write, compose and act for film, television and theatre productions in Cincinnati, Hollywood, New York and around the country.
- Music Education graduates teach music and direct choruses at schools throughout the Midwest.
- Musical Theatre graduates appear in almost every major production on Broadway and are part of nationally touring companies, Las Vegas shows and musical productions in cities throughout Ohio and around the country.
- Opera graduates have performed on the stages of the world’s greatest opera companies, including Cincinnati Opera, Dayton Opera, Metropolitan Opera (New York), Lyric Opera of Chicago, San Francisco Opera, Royal Opera (London), La Scala (Italy) and more.
- Performance Studies graduates work with orchestras from Cincinnati to Toledo, from Sioux City to Singapore and the Air Force and Army Bands.
As the UC Center of Excellence in Music and Theatre Arts, CCM becomes the state’s first performing arts program to receive this distinction. CCM joins three other Centers of Excellence in the area of Cultural and Societal Transformation.
Ohio’s Centers of Excellence in Cultural and Societal Transformation are programs that promote economic vitality by fostering the human instinct toward creativity and innovative expression. Upon entering the workforce, graduates of these programs use their talents in a variety of fields, including the fine arts, the humanities, communications, entrepreneurship, business and interactive technology, enriching disciplines far beyond those studied in the classroom. In doing so, they help to drive innovation and economic growth in extraordinary ways.
Taken together, these programs demonstrate Ohio’s outstanding capacity to strengthen the regional, national and international economy with broadminded scholars and creative, dynamic thinkers.
for more information.
Learn more about the Ohio Centers of Excellence