UC Ceremony Recognizes Outstanding Achievements of Students, Faculty and Staff
Get a roundup of the awards to be presented at the May 15 University Recognition Ceremony.
Date: 5/10/2011 12:00:00 AM
By: Dawn Fuller
Phone: (513) 556-1823
Photos By: Lisa Ventre
The University of Cincinnati celebrates its annual University Recognition Ceremony at 4 p.m., Sunday, May 15, in the Great Hall of Tangeman University Center.
Bleuzette Marshall, senior director of development for the offices of the provost and student affairs, UC Foundation, will emcee the awards ceremony.
The ceremony, presented by the Division of Student Affairs, will honor 70 members of UC’s community for their outstanding achievements across 20 different categories.
Mitchel D. Livingston, UC chief diversity officer and vice president for student affairs, will present the Presidential Leadership Medal of Excellence to four outstanding students and the Just Community Awards to five members of the UC community – as well as honor two people, now deceased, who exemplified the ideals of the Just Community. The awards recognize students, faculty and staff whose daily actions reflect UC’s Just Community initiative.
The 2011 University Recognition Ceremony will honor the following:
- The outstanding graduates to be presented with the Presidential Leadership Medal of Excellence
- Who’s Who Among Students in American Colleges and Universities
- The James Rankin Award recipient for academic excellence and contributions to improving the quality of life for minorities on campus and in the community
- The Marjorie B. Parham Award recipient for campus involvement, community service and academic achievement
- The recipient of the Terence L. Jones Diversity Award
- The recipient of the Annie Fitzgerald Student Service Award
- The recipient of the Kacher-Bloom Memorial Award, a scholarship that recognizes the recipient for excellence in academics, devotion to student activities and commitment to community service
- The recipient of the Metro Bearcat Spirit Cup, awarded to the student organization that consistently demonstrates Bearcat pride and spirit through regular attendance at athletic and campus events
- The Omicron Delta Kappa Sophomore Leader of the Year Award to recognize students for their collegiate leadership and exemplary academic achievements
- The Spirit of Community Awards to honor students for contributions to student life within their college and in the campus community
- The Outstanding Student Group and Group Advisor of the Year awards
- The Greek Man and Woman of the Year
- The Student Worker of the Year Awards
- UC Women’s Center Advocate of the Year
- The Resident Education and Development Student Leadership Awards
- The UC Wellness Center Peer Educator of the Year
- The recipient of the Jimmy Nippert Award to honor UC’s graduating outstanding male student-athlete
- The recipient of the Helen Norman Smith Award to honor UC’s graduating outstanding female student-athlete
- The Top Cat Scholar Athletes of the Yea
- The Mr. Bearcat Award, which honors a graduating man who has achieved academic success, demonstrated leadership in diverse settings and contributed to UC with his “Bearcat Spirit”
- The C-Ring Women’s Leadership Award to recognize a graduating woman who has achieved academic excellence, as well as demonstrated service and leadership on campus in the community, plus has worked to advance the status of women and girls
- The Just Community Awards to recognize UC faculty, staff, students and organizations that exemplify the principles of UC’s Just Community