SAVE THE DATE: UC Ceremony to Honor Our Veterans Set for Nov. 9
A ceremony to honor our veterans is set for 10:30 a.m., Friday, Nov. 9, on McMicken Commons.
Date: 10/19/2012 12:00:00 AM
By: M.B. Reilly
Phone: (513) 556-1824
The University of Cincinnati community is invited to honor our veterans during a ceremony set for 10:30 a.m., Friday, Nov. 9
, on McMicken Commons. All are invited to attend.
The ceremony serves as the university’s tribute to veterans in advance of the Nov. 11 national observance of Veterans Day.
The UC event will include
- The UC Bearcat Band performing military marches and playing patriotic tributes in advance of the 10:30 a.m. start of the ceremony.
- Serving as master of ceremonies at the event will be UC President Santa Ono.
- Brief remarks will be made by Colonel Bob Peterson of the United States Army Corps of Engineers, and Leslie Miller Ponder, widow of Master Sergeant James “Tre” Ponder, who was killed in action in Afghanistan in 2005.
- Each veteran in the audience, representing members of UC’s students, faculty, staff and visitors, will be called up to receive a commemorative coin in thanks for their service.
- In attendance and standing at formation during the ceremony will be members of UC’s Reserve Officers’ Training Corps Color Guard along with 50 Air Force ROTC cadets and 50 Army ROTC cadets.
- The ceremony will close at approximately 11 a.m. with buglers in the facing towers of Tangeman University Center and McMicken Hall playing “Taps.”
University offices will be closed on Monday, Nov. 12, in observance of the Nov. 11 (Sunday) Veterans Day Holiday.