Summer Program Seeks
Date: Jan. 10, 2002
High School Juniors of Color
By: Marianne Kunnen-Jones
Phone: (513) 556-1826
Archive: Campus News
One hundred and thirty-five talented undergraduates of color attend the University of Cincinnati on full-tuition scholarships from the Darwin T. Turner Scholars Program. This June, one of the program's largest classes ever will graduate as 50 of the scholars receive degrees.
That means there will be more scholarships available than usual for the Fall 2002 entering freshmen class. Qualified students of color from the state of Ohio have until Feb. 1 to apply to the program. The majority of the winners receive scholarships covering full tuition and fees, plus a $1,050 stipend. In addition, five special Coca-Cola Merit Scholars will receive room and board, as well as tuition, fees and the stipend.
Applicants must submit three letters of recommendation. In addition, each must also:
- Be African American, Asian American/Pacific Islander, Native American or Hispanic American
- Be a high school graduate by June 2002
- Be a permanent resident of Ohio
- Have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or B (3.5 GPA for the Coca-Cola Merit Scholarships)
- Rank in the top one-third of their graduating classes (top one-fourth for Coca-Cola Merit Scholarships)
- Have made formal application to the University of Cincinnati
- Agree to participate in activities and programs designed to improve their personal and/or academic skills
- Be accepted in a four-year matriculating degree program
- Be willing to complete 30 hours of community service
- Have a minimum ACT score of 21 and/or a minimum SAT score of 980 (or 25 and 1130 for Coca-Cola Merit Scholarships)
For more information on applying, contact LaShanta Jones in the UC Office of Ethnic Programs and Services, (513) 556-6008. More information and applications are available on the web at <www.eps.uc.edu>.
Meet an alumnus of the Turner Program who works at UC.
Meet a Turner alumnus who started his own firm.
Back to main story.