Women's Conference Scheduled for Feb. 23 at Kingsgate
Date: Jan. 30, 2001
By: Marianne Kunnen-Jones
Phone: (513) 556-1826
Archive: Campus News
This year's Women's Leadership Conference at UC will give faculty and staff a chance to learn about a host of career-related topics ranging from Feng Shui to using public relations to get noticed.
The conference will take place on Friday, Feb. 23 at Kingsgate Conference Center. Two nationally known authors will present the opening and closing addresses, plus there will be an innovative "can do" "playshop" from Intuition Theatre. The playshop will use clowning, mime and song to demonstrate the ridiculous obstacles that keep people from being positive about their abilities.
The morning keynote speaker will be Carolyn Duff, partner with BCA Resources and president of WomenWorks Inc. Her talk is titled "Learning From Other Women: How Women Can Benefit From the Knowledge, Wisdom and Experience of Female Mentors." Duff has also written two books, "Learning From Other Women" and "When Women Work Together."
Lorraine Johnson-Coleman of Lorraine & Associates Inc., in Savannah, Ga., will close the conference with "Woman to Woman: A Challenge From One Woman to Another." Johnson-Coleman is a storyteller and author of "Just Plain Folks." She is a nationally recognized expert on rural African American and southern culture.
The conference also will feature a variety of workshops throughout the day. Topics will include:
- "Untitled Leadership: Do You Need to Wait for a Title to Be a Leader?"
- "Career Planning and Choices: Issues in Diversity"
- "Using Public Relations to Get Noticed and Rewarded"
- "Extending the Learning Connections"
- "What Our Students Are Saying: UC's Student Satisfaction Survey"
- "Using Humor to Balance Family and Work"
- "White Women Contributing to Dismantling Racism"
- "Feng Shui: A Power-Tool for Leadership"
- "RPT: War Stories and Lessons."
University Conferencing is coordinating the event. Registration is $95 for the full day, including lunch and two breaks; $75 for half-day, including lunch and one break; or $55 for a half-day without lunch. To register, call 558-1810 or go to the conference web site at www.uc.edu/womensleadership.