Course: Exploring Health Professions
PD 1000: Exploring Health Professions is designed to help students gain a wider and deeper understanding of the variety of health professions and how to most effectively prepare for entry into the professions. Students will explore the human side of healthcare, including professionalism, ethical behaviors, healthcare disparities, cross-cultural care, and interprofessional collaboration. After successful completion of PD 1000, students will have the option to gain real world experience in a healthcare setting and course credit by registering for Academic Shadowing – INT3041)
1. Advance connections between the experiential education concept and importance of healthcare career exploration.
2. Identify, research, and evaluate a range of career options available in the health professions.
3. Demonstrate insight into professional behaviors that lead to success in the healthcare workplace.
4. Develop effective career development resources tailored to a chosen healthcare career path.
5. Explore personal values and ethical guidelines related to complex problems and controversies in healthcare.
6. Utilize different points of view to understand the human side of healthcare pertaining to cultural difference, dissonance, and competency.
7. Recognize and articulate the meaning of healthcare disparities.
8. Explain the relationship between educational goals and interests in chosen health profession.
9. Assume responsibility for understanding the steps to prepare a competitive application to professional school.
10. Create a network of academic and co-curricular resources and support integral to succeeding on a pre-health path.
11. Complete preparatory training and certifications required for health professions.
12. Understand the benefits of interprofessional collaboration for quality patient care.
For more information, contact Robin Selzer