Division of Professional PracticeUniversity of CincinnatiPROPEL

Division of Professional Practice

International Opportunities

Students will find a variety of international opportunities through the office of Professional Practice & Experiential Learning.

The International Co-op Program (ICP) provides exciting opportunities for UC students to learn a second language and gain international experience through an overseas co-op assignment. The University of Cincinnati is one of the few universities in the United States which offers such a program.

For more information, please contact Gayle Elliott, 556-5433


The Singapore Experience offers a true global perspective is not complete without an understanding of Asia—home to 60 percent of the world’s population. And an internship in Singapore, one of the fastest-growing economies in the world, provides an excellent opportunity for cultural immersion without having to learn a new language.

For more information, please contact Darnice Langford, 556-0322, Willie Clark, 556-0354, or Erin Cohen, 556-4535.

Singapore Skyline

The Hong Kong Experience will provide a range of industry sectors ideal for a successful Asian co-op or internship experience.  Industry sectors include business, finance, hospitality and travel, communications, arts and design and policy and legal issues.

This new initiative will allow any undergraduate student at the University of Cincinnati to complete an international internship or cooperative education experience in Hong Kong. 

For more information, please contact Darnice Langford, 556-0322, Willie Clark, 556-0354, or Erin Cohen, 556-4535.

Hong Kong


The Toronto Experience offers robust opportunities for internships in English, setting itself apart from internships in the United States through its distinctively Canadian culture, politics and charm.

The city’s excellent public transportation system makes navigating Toronto easy and convenient.  Toronto’s wide-ranging industry sectors and multi-cultural setting create an ideal backdrop for a valuable internship program.

For more information, please contact Darnice Langford, 556-0322, Willie Clark, 556-0354, or Erin Cohen, 556-4535.

City Hall


The European Experiential Learning Program will give students the opportunity to travel to Turin, Italy, Milan, Italy and Barcelona Spain.  This is a 3 credit hour undergraduate course which can be used for an elective or as an international experience. Students will visit businesses in each of these three cities and attend multiple cultural sites.

For more information, please contact Maureen Schomaker, 556-6048
or Cindy Damschroder at 556-0334

Barcelona Fountain


The Japanese Experiential Learning Program will give students an opportunity to travel to Tokyo, Kyoto and Hiroshima.  These are 3 credit hour undergraduate courses which can be used for an elective or as an international experience. Students will visit businesses, cultural and historic sites.

For more information, please contact Gayle Elliott, 556-5433 or
Chris Cooper, 556-0377.



Experiential Explorations Program (EEP) Study Abroad French Option





An interactive website  which offers country specific career and employment information, including world wide internships and job postings.


Requirements for Students Earning International Co-op Experience (work, research, travel, or EEP)

►It is critical that all students who will be working internationally complete university requirements per International Programs before they leave the country. 

►Every student that travels abroad with the University of Cincinnati or for UC credit (including co-op/intern placement) IS REQUIRED to attend a mandatory pre-departure session. These sessions are designed to make sure you are prepared for your experience abroad. You can read more about these sessions and register for one at the below link:


►UC International Programs now offers comprehensive international health and evacuation insurance through Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI) for a very low rate. Please look into your international health insurance coverage. It is mandatory that students enroll in the comprehensive coverage the University has secured on your behalf. To purchase this international insurance plan, please use the following link to self-enroll and pay directly with a credit card:


►Please use Sponsor Code CIN when enrolling. You do not need to fill in the categories marked Destination City Name, Sponsor Program Name, Sponsor Participation ID or Phone Number. 

►UC International Programs also would like to collect a copy of your passport. Please scan or take a photo of your passport and email it to global@uc.edu prior to departure. 

If you have any questions or concerns regarding these requirements, please contact global@uc.edu or visit www.uc.edu/international



Students who would like to apply for a grant and are participating in an individual study abroad program (one that is not lead by a UC professor/instructor), should follow the deadlines listed below.

Find more information regarding UC International Student Grants.

Online Proposal Due:

International Activities
Taking Place In:

June 15th
November 15th
March 15th


Globalization Grants

There are many types of financial aid that you can apply to an international experience. The most essential point is to apply early and have your application in good form.

UC International offers student grants for up to $500 for education abroad projects. Students may receive grants for up to one proposal per year during the course of their study at UC. Grants are restricted to students who are either currently full-time or who have been admitted as a full-time student. This document contains important information and instructions for applying for the globalization grant.

Deadlines to submit requests for globalization grants are very early in the quarter prior to the quarter you will go overseas.

Dates and additional information can be found on the UC International Program website: http://www.uc.edu/international/programs/students/financial_planning/grants.html.


Through UC International Program you will learn that UC offers a variety of excellent programs abroad.  There are programs that last for one week, a summer, a quarter, a semester or an entire year.  In addition to traditional study abroad programs you can pursue an international internship, a service-learning project or co-op.  There are opportunities for every student regardless of field of study.


Funding Resources for International Experiences:


Global E3

Global E3: The Global Engineering Education Exchange Program.

Recognizing a growing demand for internationally-experienced engineering graduates, a group of leading universities around the world established the Global E3 in 1995. Global E3 allows engineering students at member universities to enjoy a fulfilling study abroad experience.


Boren Scholarships and Fellowships provide unique funding opportunities for U.S. undergraduate and graduate students to study less commonly taught languages in world regions critical to U.S. interests, and underrepresented in study abroad, including Africa, Asia, Central and Eastern Europe, Eurasia, Latin America, and the Middle East.


The Whitaker International Program sends emerging leaders in U.S. biomedical engineering (or bioengineering) overseas to undertake a self-designed project that will enhance their careers within the field. The goal of the program is to assist the development of professional leaders who are not only superb scientists, but who also will advance the profession through an international outlook. Along with supporting grant projects in an academic setting, the Whitaker International Program encourages grantees to engage in policy work and propose projects in an industry setting.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program is the largest U.S. exchange program offering opportunities for students and young professionals to undertake international graduate study, advanced research, university teaching, and primary and secondary school teaching worldwide. The program currently awards approximately 1,800 grants annually in all fields of study, and operates in more than 155 countries worldwide. Fulbright U.S. Student alumni populate an entire range of professions and include ambassadors, members of Congress, judges, heads of corporations, university presidents, journalists, artists, professors, and teachers. Bose Corporation founder Amar Bose, actor John Lithgow, composer Philip Glass, opera singer Renee Fleming and economist Joseph Stiglitz are among notable former grantees.


The Gilman Scholarship Program is open to U.S. citizen undergraduate students who are planning to study abroad. The program aims to diversify the kinds of students who study abroad and the countries and regions where they go by supporting undergraduates who might otherwise not participate due to financial constraints.


Freeman Awards for Study in Asia (Freeman-ASIA) provides scholarships for U.S. undergraduate students with demonstrated financial need to study abroad in East or Southeast Asia.


A program of the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, the Critical Language Scholarship (CLS) Program offers intensive summer language institutes in thirteen critical foreign languages for summer 2013. The selection process is administered by American Councils for International Education with awards approved by the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs.